1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Specialist teacher of speech and language

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mrswashi, Jul 5, 2016.

  1. mrswashi

    mrswashi New commenter

    Is there anyone on here who has this job title?
    I am interested in applying for a job and wondered if anyone had any personal experience that they could tell me about.
    I have been teaching for 18 years and am thinking about a change.
    ,many thanks
  2. snugglepot

    snugglepot Occasional commenter

    No. However, I used to work with one. As far as I am aware you need to have a degree in Speech Therapy. She had been a Speech Therapist in both NHS and attached to Education before gaining a position as Speech and Language Specialist.

    Her job was to oversee the other Speech Therapists, work with more complicated cases and give training. I am a HLTA and I had completed a Derbyshire Language Certificate and Makaton so worked with the pupils she had that received more specialist work because they had complicated difficulties.

    I hope this helps a little.
  3. mrswashi

    mrswashi New commenter

    Thanks snuggle pot.
    Don't need degree in speech therapy, just teaching degree and some knowledge of Sen.

Share This Page