1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Special school or academy?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by laineybaker, Jan 30, 2011.

1. I currently love my job, I work at a residential special school for srudents with BESD teaching secondary food technology. Unfortunately due to BSF and other political issues I know my job as it is will not be there in 2 years. I currently commute 2 hours a day and cross the humber bridge, but it's worth it. My job may either be the same but move further across town making the distance and cost with rising fuel charges too much, or it may become a primary school, and although I am originally primary trained I do not want to work in this field.
    Recently a position teaching food technology in an outstanding academy around the corner from my home has come up. I have completed an application but am wondering if it is the right move, that's assuming they give me a second look.
    I'm trully gutted I can't stay as I am, but in this job climate do I pass up an opportunity like this? What are the chances of another ESBD secondary food technology position opening up within a reasonable travelling time of Lincoln? Not alot!!
    Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

2. I currently love my job, I work at a residential special school for srudents with BESD teaching secondary food technology. Unfortunately due to BSF and other political issues I know my job as it is will not be there in 2 years. I currently commute 2 hours a day and cross the humber bridge, but it's worth it. My job may either be the same but move further across town making the distance and cost with rising fuel charges too much, or it may become a primary school, and although I am originally primary trained I do not want to work in this field.
    Recently a position teaching food technology in an outstanding academy around the corner from my home has come up. I have completed an application but am wondering if it is the right move, that's assuming they give me a second look.
    I'm trully gutted I can't stay as I am, but in this job climate do I pass up an opportunity like this? What are the chances of another ESBD secondary food technology position opening up within a reasonable travelling time of Lincoln? Not alot!!
    Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

3. The 'old stick or twist' dilemma.
    Both choices are fraught with risk. However you know the shutters come down in two years on your present job.
    if you have bills to pay, you are wise to be making plans as early as possible.
    There have been some very scary tales about the redepolyment process in BSF-blighted areas, so probably better for you not to wait and get caught up in that.
    Good luck with your choices.