1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Special school interview- written task

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by daydreamer86, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Hello. First of all, good luck with your interview-you sound very passionate so I hope you get a position there. As for the written task, I have never had to do one in a job interview yet (I work in a residential SLD/PMLD/ASD school) but a friend of mine who worked at a residential special needs college had a written task at her interview where she had to draft a letter of complaint to a local pub landlord who had refused entry to a student based on their learning disabilities. It might be different for you though as obviously she worked with young adults who were over the legal drinking age. This is something we come across a lot in the residential sector-you don't say if your potential workplace is residential or a day school but, at our residential school, I have known a previous manager of mine to have to write a letter of complaint to a local shopkeeper who had thrown one of our students and his carer out of the shop because the student was taking too long to count his money to hand over! As for the "brain freeze", I'm afraid I can't help as I have Aspergers Syndrome and when it comes to my passion (working with people with learning disabilities), I have the opposite problem and can't stop talking! I am sure any good interviewer would know that it's just nerves though, and you will probably find that your interaction with the pupils will count for more as, in my current job, they paid a lot of attention to how I interacted with the students before interview. Good luck and let us know how you get on!

2. Also, one quick thing-we had autism training a month ago and the lecturer there said that most people with autism now prefer ASC for autistic spectrum condition rather than the mention of the word disorder. Personally, as someone on the autistic spectrum myself, I don't mind it but might be worth remembering if it comes up in conversation with any of the students.

3. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

I went for an interview a while ago where after the tour of the school the written task was to write my first impressions of the school, how they fit with my philosophy (sp?) of teaching and what my first steps would be if appointed. A lot to fit into 30 minutes!
    Another task I've know is for candidates to be asked to write a scheme of work or level a piece of work.
    I don't know why schools are so vague about interview tasks. When would you ever have to do any of the above in controlled conditions?
    I found that if I wrote out answers to possible questions before an interview, it helped me remember slightly better what I wanted to say.
    Good luck.

4. Thank you everyone for your answers, I'm being really silly about this but I've stopped sleeping properly already even though it's six days before the interview!
    I really agree with you Loony tunes, it's so pointless schools being vague about interview activities, all it does is foster nerves.
    I am passionate about this job, I know I have the experience and a USP too- I've trained to be a social worker so have knowledge and experience of working in child protection as well as working in a caring role one-on-one with young people (including one of the pupils at the school). I KNOW I'd be great in this job and I KNOW I've got what it takes to be a great teacher in their school. I just have difficulty telling other people that! Haha, I was lying in bed last night tossing and turning and saying in my head "they need me, they NEEEDDDD me"
    Thanks for the heads up on ASC, I've never heard of that before so will try to keep it in mind.
    I've been considering taking Kalms to try to help- has anyone ever tried them for interview nerves?

5. I just wanted to say Good Luck in your interview today-let us know how you get on!

6. thank you, it went well (much better than other recent interviews) but I didn't get it. The other candidates were all really strong, I wasn't surprised that I didn't get it. Getting my feedback in the post but generally felt a lot happier with my performance as compared to previous ones. So I'm feeling quite positive about my next one, and I've spotted a few jobs today that I've got my eye on :)
    To the lovely Tracy "Beaker" (haha!) who was also at the interview today- if you read this- let me know if you got it, or know who did.

7. Hello again, I've been waiting for you to update your thread - I didn't get it either although I'm not surprised, I completely went to pieces in the interview and waffled, kept saying 'erm!' I am so surprised that you weren't successful, I was convinced that you were the best candidate, especially with you being a giraffe and all! ;) I think it was a blessing in disguise for me really, back to the tes, me thinks! Good luck with your job hunting, keep positive :)

8. I'm sorry you didn't get the job but at least your interview technique is getting better. Good luck with applying elsewhere.