1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Special offers

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by supernova95, Mar 16, 2019.

1. supernova95

supernova95 New commenter

Hi! I am a private French tutor on Skype and I am thinking about offering a special offer for students that take many lessons per week.

For example:
    " 60 minutes: 24$ (or 20$ if you take three or more lessons per week) "

However, I was wondering how to deal with the potential "complications" that could arise from this. For instance, what if they book three lessons at 20$ each, complete two of them, and end up having to cancel the third one. Do I ask them to send me 8$ to make up for the price the other two lessons are supposed to be? Do I keep 8$ from the 20$ and send them a 12$ refund? Is that special offer even a good idea to begin with?

I know this might sound like a dumb question but I'm simply trying to figure out what is the most simple and logical way to make it work. I haven't been in this field for very long.

What do you think?

2. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Set a time limit for special offers (say six months) but needs to be in your terms and conditions. Always keep the money don’t get into the complication of getting or refunding money, it should be easy for you not complicated.

3. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

Don't sell yourself short by offering special prices.

4. parseltongue

parseltongue New commenter

If you have a good, clear cancellation policy and take payment in advance, this would avoid the pitfalls.

5. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

I don't ever offer special prices, but if I did they would have to be non refundable to cover me for the type of situation you describe.

6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Do it differently.
    "Take two lessons for 24$, get the third one half price " (actually less than half price based on your numbers). That way if they don't come back for the third lesson,you haven't lost out.

langteacher likes this.