1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Special needs in NQT year?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by babby, Mar 30, 2012.

1. hi

I am a primary trained NQT still seeking a first post, which is proving very hard in my area! I have spent time volunteering in schools and am currently doing a few hours a week employed as a casual teacher to give one to one phonics tutoring to a 13 year old boy. I have been told that the school may be looking to recruit a teacher to take a small class of the weakest children in year 7, which will essentially be an SEN class. The head has said that a primary trained teacher may be the best bet for such a class and has said it may be a way in for me. However, I'm not sure if there is anything in the rule book about primary NQTs doing the induction year in a secondary school, or indeed in an SEN role? Would be grateful if anyone could advise. Thank you!

2. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

If you're a qualified teacher, you can teach pretty much wherever if the Head is happy to employ you. My first job was teaching in a SEN unit in a comp having trained as a primary teacher (although I did have a couple of years experience as a supply teacher). Yes you can do your induction in a secondary school in an SEN role. I never intended going into SEN but absolutely love it now and would never go back. Go for it!

3. Many thanks Loony! That's really good news. I never really thought about it before either, although of course it's touched on during training. But I do enjoy my casual work, and frankly at the moment it's so tough out there to get a post that I think I would be a fool to turn down such an opportunity.
    One more question then - sorry...
    Can anyone tell me where the best resources are to be found in general for this type of teaching (that is SEN unit in a secondary school). Of course I know there's lots of info on the TES, but from my primary training I know of load of fab web-sites for that stage, but am not really in the know for a post such as I have outlined above. Also, on the assumption I get an interview (fingers crossed) it will help me to prepare.

thanks again.

4. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

It depends on the particular needs of the pupils but generally this sort of pupil is working at primary level and so need primary type resources, you just need to be aware of age appropriateness.

5. thanks, yes well that makes sense! At least I know where to find them.