1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Special Measures

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by daisymoo2, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I have a dilemma. I have been teaching for around a year and half. Induction complete, through 2 long term supply assignments I find myself currently working in a part time, non perm contract.
    I have recently been presented with the opportunity to apply for a role in a school that has just gone into SM. The Head has already changed and it looks as though this job has come up due to the first wave of staff shuffling.
    Would anyone is my situation apply for this post? Is it a good idea to enter a school in SM as a part of a new wave of staff? (there's 6 other vacancies for the same school).
    The Ofsted report makes for shocking reading, as do the local press reports into the matter.
    I have been in a few 'difficult' schools, but have never been into a failing school situation.
    I would appriciate any experiences/advice.
    Thanks,
    Lucy

2. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I applied for a position in a school that had just gone into SM, wondering if it was a mistake or not - I LOVE IT!! New HT bought in massive changes and from what I have gleaned from the staff, though she is not perfect, the morale is much higher due to these changes... My best advice is to apply for the job and go from there... if you are offered an interview, if they don't offer you a tour of the school, then be very suspicious! On my tour, I realised that though the school was in SM, it didn't feel like it - none of the tell-tale signs like students out of class just wandering around etc, etc... yes, it is hard work as the school will probably very closely monitored by LEA, HMI and OFSTED... but... personally, I don't regret applying and accepting job! Though, one thing I would find out - some schools that are SM have been closed down already, rebranded, reopened, reshuffled etc... is this one? If it is, you might want to stay clear as history does have a habit of repeating itself... but good luck whatever you decide!

3. 2004ajd

2004ajd New commenter

Although I haven't taught in SM; I have experience of teaching in a school with NTI.

My advice to you would be to go for it! Yes it's hard work; being observed by every man and his dog but that shouldn't put you off. You don't say whether it's primary or secondary (not that it makes a difference) it was a challenge but for me it was a valuable experience. Would I do it again? YES

Good luck with your decision :)

4. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Yes, I've done it and didn't stay long, despite having taught in 'tough' schools beforehand. May be OK if you're young and inexperienced, but for 'old hands' the SMT are constantly looking for others to blame, so the atmosphere suffers.

5. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I would agree that a lot of SM schools are also tough schools... but not always... my current school is not a tough school - not that I want to say too much on a public forum, but basically found itself in SM cause of incompetent HT - hence new one! Read the OFSTED report carefuly and try to read between the lines of why it is SM and also look at the support or lack of support in local press...

6. What are your other options?

7. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

I would say that it completely depends on the new head they have got. If they are good and have the sense to see that the best way out of special measures is to support the staff and create a team spirit in the school then I have found that working in schools in special measures can be a great opportunity for development. If on the other hand they are going to try to get out of special measures by playing the blame game I would stay away.

8. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

It will be tough and rigorous but the only way is up :)

9. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

As others have said, it depends on the new HT and her plans.
    In my opinion, a school doesn't just find itself in special measures one day; it is misled there, by a combination of factors, some of which will have been mentioned in the shocking Ofsted report. After all, that report is an indictment of the HT, SMT and governors. If you are genuinely convinced that the new HT can make a difference in a genuine way, go for it. If not and you think that she will paper over the cracks and it will get even worse, i.e. closure, don't give it another thought.