1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Special Measures

Discussion in 'Primary' started by regencyrob, Apr 11, 2011.

1. We were told today that we are in special measures!
    A friend of mine paints a bleak picture..
    Is it all doom and gloom?
    Has any body had any positive experiences with special measures?

RR

2. Yes!
    Hard work, but a fantastic learning experience. All our staff ended up being outstanding teachers; a number became county leading teachers, three on leadership pathways, etc etc. The school is now a national leadership school.
    Some of the things they wanted us to do, the hoops to jump through, we had issues with, but we also got a change of head immediately - the new one was determined, supportive, hard working and a wonderful leader, and refused some of the things that just didn't work - we found other ways to do what they wanted and she convinced them they achieved the ends they wanted.
    We all wanted to be out of it ASAP and worked our socks off - and became the better for it! Out in a year.
    Good luck - enjoy and feel proud of what you will achieve and become! (Dead wood need to change or go, though!)

3. dc521

dc521 New commenter

I apologise for the doom and gloom dear. The new Literacy leader of his school was compiling a book order while messaging your good self. However, unless your staff are all 'secure' and ready to attack the issues, it can be a rough ride. The positives: you can get the professional input to develop and it's amazing how creative a budget can suddenly become when you want new resources.

4. Be prepared for stupidly long working hours, piles of extra meetings, and your professionalism as a teacher called into question on a daily basis.
    Just pray you get a team of advisors who know what they're doing. The ones I had experience of were dictatorial and hell to work with. Basically, any idea the staff came up with was automatically wrong (until 2 months later when it was put into practice by the advisory team as their own idea). There was extra training which we were told was cutting edge and "brilliant" (and has mostly all since been discredited). There was no work-life balance even slightly considered - just work-work balance.
    Hopefully you'll have a more positive experience. My advice is to keep your head down, jump through the hoops they set you and hold on until you come out the other side. There is a chance that there'll be something to develop you as a teacher; just stay strong so you get a chance to use it when it's all over.

5. SM can be hard work-I personally have never done it but my friend is a "Power Head" whose job is to go into SM schools, turn them around and then move on and do it all over again so I know a bit about it.
    She is a tough cookie with high expectations, a no-excuse attitude to professionalism and dedication but she seems to be well liked in her schools.
    You will work long hours, you will have to go back to "basics" and will be expected to plan in more detail on official daily formats that will be scrutinised. For many in your school, maybe you included, this may seem ridiculous as you are a good teacher who knows what they are doing, but during SM everyone will be asked to work the same way, to the same high standard to make sure all good teachers become outstanding, sat move to good or better and those who need to move on will do so.
    Your school will receive new leadership, hopefully good leadership. You will receive more money to resource your school in areas that are lacking.
    By the time you come out of it your staff ethos will have changed, your staff may well have changed but I think you will be a better teacher for it and have a clear view of your career in that you will know if you wish to continue in that school, move on elsewhere or even to another career.
    And, as someone pointed out above, many feel invigorated and motivated to follow the leadership path and pass good practice on in other schools. It will be a hard, bumpy ride but hang tight and all will go right in the end!