1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

special measures

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by capricorn_1, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Never stopped heads of schools in special measures getting promoted to Ofsted.
    Wouldn't broadcast it though, not even mention it to anyone, apart from what is in your reference
    the only information people have about you, is what you tell them.

2. Not sure you are correct Capricorn because locally at least schools have reputations and SM has certain implications. It does mean, for example, that there is not a capacity for improvement and that the education of pupils is not what it should be - as part of the leadership team this has clear implications for our poster.
    I think it would be wise to reflect upon why the school has been placed into a category. Are these areas that are part of your role? If they are then you would probably feel that you need to sort them out and help the school improve and come out of SM. This would be of great credit to you and show real leadership skills. This might not be what you want to hear, but going for a headship interview I would expect some very challenging questions about how you have led improvements across the school, and it might be very difficult (but not impossible) to show this in the current situation. My advice would be if possible to help steer your school out of this very challenging circumstance first. It will make you a more credible candidate for Headship and give you great confidence in leading a school [​IMG]Good Luck.