1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Special Measures

Discussion in 'Governors' started by Imprudence27, Nov 29, 2010.

1. I am a new and inexperienced CoG of a school waiting to go into Special Measures. We have had the inspection and the feedback and must now wait for the written report. My deputy and I, along with the head and his deputy, are sworn to secrecy for the next few weeks.
    Does anyone have any advice: from the homilies along the lines of "you will be stronger because of this"; to the pracical "under no circumstances, must you forget to ...."; or the strategic "think now about ..."

Would love to hear from anyone who had been there.

2. I am a new and inexperienced CoG of a school waiting to go into Special Measures. We have had the inspection and the feedback and must now wait for the written report. My deputy and I, along with the head and his deputy, are sworn to secrecy for the next few weeks.
    Does anyone have any advice: from the homilies along the lines of "you will be stronger because of this"; to the pracical "under no circumstances, must you forget to ...."; or the strategic "think now about ..."

Would love to hear from anyone who had been there.

3. Nip scapegoating in the bud.

4. Special measures is hell, loads of 'initiatives' that make no sense and plenty of finger pointing and blaming. Look on the bright side, Ofsted will not be back for a while.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

They'll be back within a term at most. Monitoring visits are termly for a school in SM.

6. It should not be weeks - there is a strict protocol regarding how long OFSTED requires to write and moderate the report internally, then it is sent to HT and CoG. You are allowed to correct any factual errors (I think you have 5 days). Then the report is finalised and issued, parents have to be notified, etc.
    Advice: depends really on why the school was judged to need Special Measures (SM). Different strategies will be needed if, for example, main reason was poor results, or concerns about safeguarding, or doubts re management and/or capacity for sustained improvement. Did you have LA representative with you at the feedback meeting with inspectors?
    First reactions amongst staff and governor seem to be shock, anger and (often) denial. These are pretty paralysing, so try to get past them as quickly as possible and focus on the issues that OFSTED has decreed merit SM. Key thing for CoG is not to act alone, but to try to build mutual understanding and clear strategic thinking amongst as many members of Governing Body as possible. Plus staff and parents too. Reassure when you can, get openness and trust - this will be of most value in long term, whatever OFSTED's short-term success criteria.
    I could probably be more specific, if I knew what kind of issues you are pressed to address ...

7. Good plan.