1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Special Measures - what to expect

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by brookes, Feb 16, 2011.

1. If your school goes in to Special Measures, what does this entail for the school and staff, especially on a day-to-day basis?

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

In no particular order:
    • A rash of resignations leading to an influx of NQTs who need support, mentoring etc etc etc
    • Observations galore from everyone: announced and unannounced
    • Possible changes to SLT
    • Examination of your SoW/resources etc - possible money to update them
    • Hard work from you
    • Good on your CV
    • A pulling-together of the "good" staff to see the school through - those who don't care will leave
    We were there for nearly 3 years (I joined 6 months in) - challenging, exciting, rewarding, exhausting

3. DM

DM New commenter

henriette is completely wrong about the "influx of NQTs who need support, mentoring etc" is as schools in special measures are not permitted to employ NQTs (unless they are given special permission from Ofsted to do so).
    ... and I raised both eyebrows at the "good on your CV" line.

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

we had plenty of NQTs in SM
    and... if you are an experienced teacher who is part of the turn-around it is a good addition to your CV: maybe not is you were "part of the problem", but I read the OP as a keen teacher who had been dealt a bum hand by ohers in his/her school.

Maybe I was wrong????

5. DM

DM New commenter

6. In reality I believe permission for NQT's is very often given. It certainly was to us and we got lots!
    My memory of our 18 month stint is LOTS of observation, lots of new initiatives and slow but steady change.
    As for looking good on the CV, well I've since left that school and felt that having "suceeded" in a SM school was definitely seen as a good thing by other schools. Perhaps this would be untrue if you're jumping ship early in the process (possibly pushed?) but if you leave after the school exits SM it's definitely "a good thing".

7. Is change to Head and the rest of the SMT very likely?

8. We changed head and one SMT moved sideways. I was told this always happended but have just come across a school that's gone in and out with no SMT changes....

9. oggs26

oggs26 New commenter

our school had more observations, more direction on everything. It was hardwork but getting out of special measures was a good feeling. team pulled together