1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Special Measures - what factors decide it?

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by Susiesthoughts, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Hi

Quick question - I have been told that a school now automatically goes into special measures if its GCSE results go below 40% inc English and Maths. Is this true? I can find no evidence of this online... Most of the schools I have worked in before have been below this percentage and haven't been in special measures!

2. Hi, if the performance data for key subjects such as Eng/Maths is down and the trend is also downwards then, depending on how bad the data looks, the school may be placed into a "category of concern". These categories are "Special Measures" and "Serious Weaknesses" and to really simplify things you can say that if a school is placed into SM then Ofsted views the Leadership & Management as inadequate and incapable of turning the school around. If the school is placed into SW then usually Ofsted views the Leadership & Management and Governance as being capable of improving the school and ensuring the pupils are provided with a better standard of education going forward.

Hope this helps.

3. This is not true - there's a school down the road from us who got 37% last year, and received a 'Good' Ofsted. In comparison, we got 44% and were put in SM - as the poster above says it's to do with trends - our results were down 12% year on year, and every category was rated 'Inadequate'. Data is only one (albeit quite important) factor.