1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Special Education Categories

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by tmar56, Apr 16, 2012.

1. In the US, we term those with Processing Deficits of any kind "Specific Learning Disabled". Those who used to be termed Mentally Handicapped are now "Intellectually Disabled". Our students with emotional issues are termed "Emotionally-Behaviorally Disordered". Could someone give me the comparative terms used in the UK?
    I teach all but the InD, my students are the lowest 25% in Reading and Maths, and do very poorly in the General Education classrooms. Understanding designations will greatly help me determining where to look for resources. I am in what we call Middle School, which is for 11-12 yr olds (grades 7 & 8 here), but many of my students are 14 and 15, the result of being held back a year or more and the No Child Left Behind policy. My students are reading anywhere from 2 years to 5 years below 'grade' level, I teach 2 levels in Science, English, and what we call Social Studies, currently US History to 1877 and Civics. It gives a lot of interest to the day!

2. Yes, probably EBD would fit your pupils best. Emotional, behavioural difficulties or disorders that cover conditions such as ADHD, RAD, MLD, SLD and possibly some of the autistic spectrum too.

3. BESD (any order seems to work) - behavioural, emotional, social difficulty

MLD - moderate learning disability (possibly some of your students would fit this category too)
    SLD - severe learning disability
    PMLD - profound and multiple learning disability

4. MLD, SLD & are actually moderate learning difficulty and severe learning difficulty. Some would distinguish between difficulty and disability. However there does appear to be a growing use of the term learning disability rather than learning difficulty.
    These terms go back to the Warnock report (1978). MLD replaced the term mentaly handicapped in Scotand, and in England it replaced Educationally Subnormal. There are distinctions to be made within the UK, in Scotland the term MLD is seldom used now and is not used in statistical data gathering processes.

5. I wouldn't describe moderate learning diffiuclties as a condition - or severe learning difficulties for that matter. Children may have learning difficulties related to particular conditions or syndromes, for example children with Down Syndrome and some children with cerebral palsy or autism may have learning difficulties. We really need to move on from looking for labels usually reduced to acronyms to 'fit' children, they seldom do.

6. I've put a 'glossary of terms' and acronyms on my website www.senteaching.info. There isn't much on here yet as I'm only just starting out but this may help.

7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

SLCN - speech, language and communication needs

8. Surely everyone should know and use the categories required by the PLASC return?

9. In the schools I've worked in, and all the schools I know of, this is not completed by teachers or TAs so, no, I don't think everyone would know about them.
    Plus, the OP is in the US so definitely no.