1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Special access arrangements in GCSE MFL new spec

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by missbreak, Sep 29, 2010.

1. This is causing a headache in our place - can any tell me how they are allowing special access arrangements to take place, if any at all.
    We have already done one year of the new spec and Controlled assessments and this has been flagged up by SEN dept and examinations officer.
    Talk is of those with speciall access arrangements doing teh CAs all over again with the extra time/scribe etc allowed.
    Thanks

2. Dodros

Dodros Senior commenter

The 2010-2011 "bible" of examination access arrangements is at
    http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/538/22.%20AARASC%201011.pdf
    so you can see for yourself how candidates' special assessment needs can be met in MFL. While the issue of extra time (normally up to 25%) is relatively easy to address, be aware of the following regulation regarding the use of scribes:

3. Dodros

Dodros Senior commenter

Sorry, clicked "post" button before I had the opportunity to complete my message.
    The 2010-2011 "bible" of examination access arrangements is at
    http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/538/22.%20AARASC%201011.pdf
    so you can see for yourself how candidates' special assessment needs can be met in MFL. While the issue of extra time (normally up to 25%) is relatively easy to address, be aware of the following regulation regarding the use of scribes:
    In Modern Foreign Languages, a scribe must not be used in the writing paper unless the candidate dictates spellings letter by letter. (Paragraph 9.5.2)
    As for the use of a reader, the same JCQ publication says:
    In English, Irish, Welsh, Modern Foreign Languages and Adult Literacy specifications, a reader must not be used for any Reading Test, unless specifically permitted at certain levels by the specification. (Paragraph 9.5.1)
    Contacting the exam board may also be a good idea if the JCQ booklet fails to provide a clear direction. The assessment bodies are usually keen to show that they are determined to meet special assessment needs, particularly in the light of the Disability Discrimination Act.

4. Many thanks

5. I have a similar question.
    What extra time is allowed in the new spec MFL GCSE L & R examinations?
    As we are no longer allowed to pause the audio (AQA) how can we ensure that someone who would normally have 25% extra time, has enough time to complete everything?

I have also recently read that in Stage 3 of the task process (W) pupils can be allowed extra time.

The JCQ booklet doesn't help me with my question - can anybody out there?

Sam

6. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

In writing, I've given candidates their extra time in the lesson (quite easy to do as we have 80 minutes double periods, so 75 min for the 25% extra). For the reading, easy to give extra time too. For the listening, I was told by the SEN department that it wouldn't be an issue as "there wasn't so much reading to do" (sic). I suppose the 5 min reading time would only mean one minute 25 seconds extra, so we are talking about a minute difference. Speaking n/a as the preparation is done in class and at home, though I suppose if you monitor the 6 hours preparation religiously you could argue they can be given an extra hour and a half.
    Don't know anything about scribes as it doesn't happen in my school but dodros has answered that one well I think.

7. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I mean "minute" as in "small", not as in "length of time of sixty seconds" [​IMG]

8. lifereallyistooshort

lifereallyistooshort New commenter

Does anyone have experience of using a reader to read the transcript aloud for listening exams? How does this work?
    We have a hearing-impaired pupil and will need to put something in place for next year.