1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

speaking

Discussion in 'Education news' started by sehergul, Mar 28, 2016.

1. sehergul

sehergul New commenter

how can you make your students speak more fluently?

2. sehercvkbs

sehercvkbs New commenter

Practice

Attached Files:

3. Math-Worksheets-Galore

Math-Worksheets-Galore Occasional commenter

I'm presuming that you are referring to students who are "English"

Continue to read/speak to them with a clear and fluent voice ... never stoop 'to their level of conversation/enunciation' and believe me, when I was younger, I had a teacher who corrected me continuously and to this day I thank him for his efforts. He never mocked my way of speaking (I just wanted to be a Jack Wild) ... If you are a drama or English teacher, so much the better! Make them read the parts in a play/book insisting on pronouncing correctly/enunciation.

If not "English" as a first language ...
    http://www.5minuteenglish.com/speak-good-english.htm
    http://www.fluentu.com/english/blog/how-to-speak-english-well-fluently/

Also some tips on YouTube ...

4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

what age and subject?
    with younger pupils I have found doing lots of plays in guided reading works really well and increases their motivation to read at the same time. P4C is also a good vehicle if done well. Topic work that requires some element of presentation to their group/class works very well, especially if they are allowed to choose something they love talking about in the first place! Assemblies involving children presenting too.

5. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Having a decent vocabulary helps a lot so avoid going to America at all costs whereas an appreciation of the Just William stories might encourage them to indulge their linguistic flair.

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Or dare I say it reading the clear English of say the Enid Blyton stories. or Arther Ransome's books.
    Speaking and listening used to be part of the curriculum many years ago with time being made for children to present their work in many different ways. I assume that element has gone from the planning in the new 'get your head down and write' philosophy of today?

7. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

There is no age range attached to the OP and as a secondary teacher I find the students can talk very fluently especially if it's to their mates about their latest drunken, debauched exploits. However, trying to get them to express some prior learning in a coherent and logical manner is like pulling teeth.

How often do we get a scatter gun response to any sort of open question? Random bits of isolated learning regurgitated lacking any sense of narrative or logical structure. I find that if I narrow the question to a specific answer the students will recall learning quite well. My theory is that the students learn stuff and store bits of knowledge in mental lockers, the only problem is the lockers are not arranged in a logical order so when they have to recall knowledge the lockers get opened at random and out it tumbles. Closed questioning can help students string learning and the recall of learning together in a coherent structure.

School students brains are still developing and I don't think the synapses linking various bit of learning have fully formed but what do I know?

8. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Sounds like you know a great deal!
    Designing a PowerPoint to then help with presenting their ideas might help organise their thoughts into a logical procession, or a "comic strip" could do the same job.
    Having taught in Secondary and now Primary, the younger children are usually less embarrassed by standing and talking, whereas some teenagers become very worried about doing the same. Sometimes because their peers can be/are allowed to make cruel comments.
    Nothing hard and fast at any age, just worth trying lots of different things.
    A shame that the oral component was removed from the English GCSE, seemed a great idea to me looking from the outside.

Shedman likes this.
  9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Thanks for the tip Hammie.

10. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

The curriculum will only make it worse, because instead of concentrating on speaking skills, the students have to get past awkward and unappetizing fare. Everything is second fiddle to the curriculum, including literacy, numeracy and speaking skills.

Shedman likes this.