1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Speaking tests (GCSE/NVQ) How do you fit them in?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by nicmac, Feb 9, 2011.

1. We are really lucky and get to come off timetable. I choose to do mine in my frees and KS3 lessons so I can still teach KS4 and my Year 9 NVQ classes.
    Expecting you to and the students to do the oral exam in front of others is unfair on both you and the student. It is a nervewracking process for the students as it is let alone in front of all of their peers.
    I thought English speaking exams didn't have to be recorded and that was why it was possible to do them in class. ( I might be wrong though!)

2. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

We do them in lessons.We have all sorts of devious ways to make the best of it, like booking an IT room and having the other kids doing listening tasks with headphones on so they're quiet, doing the recording in the corridor/langs office while the rest of the class watches a DVD in the classroom, etc etc.It's far from ideal but it's the way we have to do it.

3. We do our NVQ recordings in the corridor or lang office (though only if a cover supervisor isn't busy so they can be in the classroom with the others!) The corridr isn't ideal as pupils/staff walk through or other classrooms are noisy! We're just lucky that for GCSEs we can come off timetable to do them.

4. I cannot believe that some of you are having such a hard time doing this. It is obvious that for a candiate to have a fair assessment then he/she needs to be in a quiet room, removed from all distractions. Quite apart from anything else, the quality of the recording may suffer otherwise. If this is not happening then the candidate and his or her parents would have a strong case as this is unfair when other schools like mine take the member of staff off timetable for as long as it takes and have their lessons covered. We then do them in private rooms, just the teacher and the candidate. Imagine if you asked an external examiner to work in such conditions? I suggest you ask your exams officer to consult the rules which apply. Is this just more emphasis of an anti-mfl bias? How much time is given up to students doing other practicals, or exams or trips?
    I thought this thread was going to be about "how do you fit them in...to your timetable"

5. Thanks for your comments so far.
    I'll try and find some examination guidence re: how the exams should be conducted.

If anyone has also run off to find that please let me know what you find!

6. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I am with jphammond on this. tell SLT that if they wish to take this seriously then time needs to be allocated and cover arranged. That's what happens in many schools.