1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Speaking recording gone!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by missmarm, May 2, 2012.

1. Help!
    I will ring exam board first thing in the morning, but I'm wondering if any of you have experienced anything similar.
    I have lost, never to be returned, a speaking recording for one of my GCSE pupils. My class only has 19 pupils so all candidates' work is to be sent to moderator by 7th May (sampling ponly happens when cohort more than 20 pupils). But this one is now lost, gone, forever. I have been to IT technicians, it is non-retrievable. And yes I know I'm very very very stupid for not having backed these up.
    Is there any chance AQA will allow me to send recordings of 18 candidates and accept my marks for the 19th without hearing the recording?

2. Help!
    I will ring exam board first thing in the morning, but I'm wondering if any of you have experienced anything similar.
    I have lost, never to be returned, a speaking recording for one of my GCSE pupils. My class only has 19 pupils so all candidates' work is to be sent to moderator by 7th May (sampling ponly happens when cohort more than 20 pupils). But this one is now lost, gone, forever. I have been to IT technicians, it is non-retrievable. And yes I know I'm very very very stupid for not having backed these up.
    Is there any chance AQA will allow me to send recordings of 18 candidates and accept my marks for the 19th without hearing the recording?

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

I have a class of 18 and 10 are being sampled: vive Edexcel!
    Oh help! Can you re-record making the necessary changes? I don't know as I don't do AQA

4. Thanks for replying henriette.
    No time to re-record, need to be sent off by Friday, so would be totally unfair to pupil and there's not a hope she'll be able to prepare well enough on time.
    I've googled and found a JCQ form for lost coursework- read about it on notes on back of the computer-triple copy-mark form entry sheet that we have to colour in marks on to send to AQA. Wondering if that will cover me.
    Stressed to the eyeballs this week... and today it just got worse! [​IMG]

5. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Please stop worrying. These things happen. I've had problems with both podium and audacity when doing this, and don't worry about not having a back-up.
    You're not supposed to re-record a candidate if something goes wrong with the recording. Your exams manager know how to deal with this sort of thing. Let him or her deal with AQA. There are procedures. And stop worrying.

6. Thank you Siegen81to82. I have tried to calm down (and managed, a bit). Emailed my HoD and will chat and hopefully sort things with exam officer in the morning.

7. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Good that you've calmed down. AQA's concern will be that the candidate was not disadvantaged or distressed, and you get round that by suggesting what his/her mark would have been. That mark will be moderated along with the others.
    Now, stop worrying (I may have mentioned that before).

8. Hi,
    I do AQA and this happened to me this week. I completed a Form 15 (LCW - Lost Course Work) form and thought that the mark I had for the candidate would be accepted, given that I had marked at the time of the tests and had a record of the breakdown of marks for all candidates. However, my Exam Officer rang AQA last Friday and was told that as we are still within the "window" for assessments, I would have to ask the candidate to repeat the test. I know this is not good news for you, and it was an awful situation to be in. I had to ring parents and explain and ask the student to redo the test. Thankfully, he did not object too much and repeated the test this week. I don;t want to be the bearer of bad news, but just want to prepare you for what AQA might say.
    Good luck!

9. Sorry, have spent all morning doing A2 speaking tests and have mixed up the date for conducting tests for AS/AS (15th May) with GCSE. If marks have to be with AQA by 7th May then there is no time to redo the test.

10. Thanks to all for replying. Spoke to AQA today and my suggested method of dealing with it (fill in the lost-centre-assessed-work form and send to moderator with apologies) was what they agreed was best solution. Phew!!!

Lesson learned: back up back up back up!

11. I symathise.. I think what will happen will be that they see how accurate with your estimated grades for this skill and possibly the others and if you are getting those right they will accept the mark you give, or adjust if you are lenient / severe with your estimates. I also learned a lesson this year - record the 'non-recorded' tests too.

12. also learned to check the spelling and syntax before posting!

13. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

Surely it is your HoD who should be keeping copies of CAs. That's what (s)he gets paid for.

14. I absolutely agree re recording the "non recorded test" too. I do this as a sort of insurance policy. Quite apart from having another option if one gets lost (it happened to me too this year), you can exercise some sort of choice as to which one you feel is the best example to send. Also, if a pupil is absent for the second speaking assessment and there is no time to catch up, at least you have one recording to send. [​IMG]