1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Speaking mother tongue in an International School

Discussion in 'EAL' started by lkr, Sep 21, 2019.

1. lkr

lkr New commenter

Hi,
    I work at an international school in Europe. We have children from over 50 different countries within our school but a couple of groups of nationalities are significant (the host country and Chinese).
    There has been an issue of some children in primary feeling excluded due to groups of students speaking their home language and not English in the playground.
    This is incredibly hard to prevent/police though...and I'm not even sure it should be. What do you do in your Int school regarding mother tongue at breaktimes? I'm really open and interested to hear what other schools do.
    Thank you!

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

universal problem all over the world, nothing to do with being in an international school.

3. lkr

lkr New commenter

Ok, thank you...but this isn't a particularly helpful nor constructive response!

4. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

We don’t restrict mother tongue at any times. We do encourage inclusion in the classrooms and some children’s level of English is too low. So, being inclusive is important but also being sensitive to those who need to speak in their home language sometimes as well. Maybe look into encouraging children to include others in activities that don’t require a lot of language. You may have to model /start it in the classrooms.