1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Speaking markschemes before public exams

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by aventura, Jan 21, 2016.

1. aventura

aventura New commenter

Dear all,

Do your departments use a specific mark scheme for Speaking assessments from years 7 to 9? We have used the Common Entrance one (which is not great) and our three new mfl teachers are panicking that they won't know how to mark those assessments.

Thanks and wishing you all a fantastic 2016!!

2. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

3. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

You could use these mark schemes with younger year groups fairly easily, perhaps just use the lower mark descriptors.

4. aventura

aventura New commenter

Thanks BrightonEarly! I have created one using a mix of NC levels, Common Entrance and GCSE. It has taken me hours and I've come to accept that it will never be a perfect MS because the objectives for every term, for every year group in KS3 are different, so there will always be certain adaptations to make. However, after the effort and time this has taken, I think it is a fairly effective document and I hope the team feels like that too.

I thought it would have been interesting to see what marking system other teachers/ other schools use at KS3 level for Speaking assessments, but it looks like it might not be that popular to have one of these after all.

Thanks a lot and happy teaching!