1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Speaking & Listening GCSE topics with contemporary relevance ;)

Discussion in 'English' started by frangwe, Aug 9, 2012.

1. I've been following the thread about Speaking & Listening, and sympathise with all the people who are finding it hard to get their students to talk. I've been there!
    I'm now working as an Outreach Coordinator for an organisation which focuses on global citizenship and development issues. I go into local schools and work with GCSE students to help them develop their confidence in expressing themselves orally. I link it as best I can to the S & L assessment criteria so that students who do well can get a GCSE S & L grade out of it. (I totally agree that it's not always necessary to tell students that you are 'formally' assessing them...!)
    Anyway, I often use topics of contemporary interest to get the students talking, and we follow on Twitter organisations who direct us towards interesting newspaper articles which can act as stimulus for S & L work. I've got some fantastic work, for example, out of an article on the I'm a Celebrity... charity 'Malaria No More UK', and on Kick Racism out of Football... (I also totally agree that it works well to focus on cross-curricular issues, and to start practising as early as possible in Year 7...)
    So, would it be useful to anyone if I identified a few articles every week, and tweeted the links from our Twitter account to a hashtag e.g. #S&Ltopics or something..??
    Let me know if it would help.

2. I've been following the thread about Speaking & Listening, and sympathise with all the people who are finding it hard to get their students to talk. I've been there!
    I'm now working as an Outreach Coordinator for an organisation which focuses on global citizenship and development issues. I go into local schools and work with GCSE students to help them develop their confidence in expressing themselves orally. I link it as best I can to the S & L assessment criteria so that students who do well can get a GCSE S & L grade out of it. (I totally agree that it's not always necessary to tell students that you are 'formally' assessing them...!)
    Anyway, I often use topics of contemporary interest to get the students talking, and we follow on Twitter organisations who direct us towards interesting newspaper articles which can act as stimulus for S & L work. I've got some fantastic work, for example, out of an article on the I'm a Celebrity... charity 'Malaria No More UK', and on Kick Racism out of Football... (I also totally agree that it works well to focus on cross-curricular issues, and to start practising as early as possible in Year 7...)
    So, would it be useful to anyone if I identified a few articles every week, and tweeted the links from our Twitter account to a hashtag e.g. #S&Ltopics or something..??
    Let me know if it would help.