1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Speaking exam for AQA at AS/A2 level: any tips please?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by bicho, Feb 17, 2011.

1. I would like to ask for some advice on what to bear in mind when conducting this exam
    I am not expert, as I conducted a Y13 exam 2 years ago and the feedback from AQA was very contradictory. This year I have to conduct my Y12's and I have had no chance to go to any of the courses (thanks to funding cuts!!)

Your help will be much appreciated as I am quite worried about this.

Thanks a lot and have a nice half term!!

2. I would like to ask for some advice on what to bear in mind when conducting this exam
    I am not expert, as I conducted a Y13 exam 2 years ago and the feedback from AQA was very contradictory. This year I have to conduct my Y12's and I have had no chance to go to any of the courses (thanks to funding cuts!!)

Your help will be much appreciated as I am quite worried about this.

Thanks a lot and have a nice half term!!

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I wouldn't really take account of the feedback you got, my last one was extremely different from Y12 to Y13 (completely the opposite in fact!). I'd try to keep to the timings as best as possible, try to not speak too much but do interrupt your students if they go into pre-prepared mode. Start off easy, build it up throughout, and do lots of mini-mocks so that your students can get used to the timings and the requirements (I keep banging on about the subjunctive and the passive! drives them crazy but at least they put them in and I do a big thumbs up when they do!).
    Good luck, at the end of the day it's their grade, not yours!

4. Thanks Noemie!! I will take note and start to organise my mocks using your tips!

I want them to excel on their test and I don't want to fail them (well the ones that are bothering to work). That feedback report I had made me feel a bit battered.
    But hey!! new year, new set of students, new experience, so let's see how it goes.

5. noemie

A bit puzzled about the funding cut thing though, as surely results are very important to the school and worth forking out cover cost and train fare (the course itself is free of charge)

6. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

The presentation used at the autumn training sessions is online at http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2650-2660-2695-W-TRB-TSM-U2AND4-SPEAK-PPS.PDF. In the teacher's resource bank, you will also find sound files and commentaries. The various examiners' reports for the five live AS sessions and the one live A2 session are also available on AQA's website, but last summer's materials are in the secure e-AQA section, and you can sign up for access to that. These all give good guidance on what went well and what not to do. Noemie's right about the timings and the structures, and I would add subordinate clauses and infinitive clauses to the ones mentioned in Noemie's posts.
    I also agree that it is short-sighted that you weren't able to go to the meetings. Attendance ought to be part of you cpd entitlement.

7. Thanks!! I'm printing this now!!
    I want to think it is because of the cuts...however I am the only one in my department not going to any paid training this year.
    Could you tell me a bit more about my cpd entitlement? I am on a 0.6 contract after my maternity leave.

Thanks again!

8. well,as I said before, I want to think this is nothing personal and that the department don't have enough funding for the training.
    Which course did you do?

Thanks

9. noemie

Hi! The AQA course for standardisation of the unit 2 & 4 meeting is free, so it's only cover cost and getting there that your school needs to refund.They also do CPD courses but those cost (something in the region of 200 quid). Your HOD should have the leaflet, if not go on the AQA website.

10. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Every teacher should be entitled to some cpd and, where money is tight, preference should be given to the exam courses. A day's cover and the rail fare = a bargain, especially when you hear the senior examiner's tips about what to include and how to practise. The fact that you are 0.6 is irrelevant and I think discriminatory. Also, if they'd paid out for your maternity leave, another day's cover and transport costs should be affordable. <font size="3">The instructions for the conduct of this year's exams are already on line at </font>http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-MFL-TN-W-JUN11.PDF<font size="3">. You will find the feedback forms your marker will use in respect of the way you conduct the tests are also there and you'll want the boxes on the left hand side ticked. They are referred to on page 19 for AS and page 40 for A2.</font> You could also check with AQA to see if there are any further courses. The contact details are given at the end the presentation mentioned in my earlier post.

11. Thanks again Siegen!!
    I'll check that today, all this information you are giving me is very helpful!!

Thanks to Noemie too!