1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Speaking and lIstening sub levels

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lul, Jun 8, 2006.

1. lul

lul

I have at last found a site with Speaking and Listening sublevels. I have been looking for these for a while and I know that others have too. Haven't looked at them closely or used them yet but I thought others may be interested in the link.
    http://www.westberks.org/GroupHomepage.asp?GroupID=1061
    I haven't come across this site before.
    lul

2. lul

lul

I have at last found a site with Speaking and Listening sublevels. I have been looking for these for a while and I know that others have too. Haven't looked at them closely or used them yet but I thought others may be interested in the link.
    http://www.westberks.org/GroupHomepage.asp?GroupID=1061
    I haven't come across this site before.
    lul

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

That's grand, lul, thanks.

I have taken the chance to add them to the Assessment section of the FAQs, along with Reading/Writing, maths & Science sub-level charts.

http://tesfaq.atspace.com/

4. Aren't you being rather anal about this? It is not assessed in SATs. What good does it do you to refine your levels to such a degree?

We don't do it in our school. We got an 'outstanding' in our OFSTED this year.

5. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

Thanks lul, I have been looking for something like this for a while. ;)

6. Thanks for that. Been getting grief to find some levelling grids for a while now.

Chris - will show your post to our head. She's the one anal about us producing levels for EVERYTHING!

7. easy to describe people as anal and to gloat that youre outstanding many of us arent and are under pressure to do just what original poster asked.

8. It wasn't intended to sound like gloating. Far from that. I think teachers are being asked to do ridiculous things that are not necessarily productive.

I, and my colleagues, believe in focussing on what is useful, and, if appropriate, resist the pressure to go along with received wisdom. The information about our OFSTED was just to reassure people that questioning does not necessarily mean resigning yourself to failing.

Government intitiatives do not preclude thinking for yourself. Most are not statutory - they are there as guidelines if you can't think of anything better.

9. tafkam

Again, easy to say, Chris.

If standards are already high in your school, then they're less likely to complain that you're not doing what is 'suggested'. However, it's a dangerous game to play if you've got to demonstrate that your improving weak standards.

10. Fair point. But it seems to me that for a school in difficulties, it's even more unreasonable to demand all these extra bits and pieces than for a shool that's doing OK.

11. When I have a weak teacher to deal with, I try to simplify the reoporting arrangements in order to get the basics right.

12. Should correct that - a teacher who doesn't find my subject area straightforward.

!!

13. understand your view chris but tafkam is right unfortunately in real world if youve below average hte pressure is on to do lots others dont have too mad but there you go- in no position to fight

14. Has anyone else got sub-levels from a different source? It would be interesting to compare them for consistentcy as I presume there are created by different people in different contexts.

15. nosignoflife

nosignoflife Occasional commenter

lul, thanks this is just the very thing I need to sort out my sub levels, every year previously it's just been guesswork! Cheeers.

16. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

So, just thought I would have a look at the older threads on this site and this one caught my eye.
    Does anyone actually use sub-levels for S&L?
    I was shocked to see TAFKAM in favour of them. Times have changed!

17. tafkam

Easy, there... I never said I was in favour!
    I disapprove of much that happens in schools, but I also know that in many schools those who question "why" might as well be asking for a P45!

18. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Ha! I was only messing anyway.

It was an interesting thread for me as my school are about to bring in APP for S&L. Evidence for moderation should be fun.

19. inky

inky Lead commenter

Indeed. Imagine the Listening sub levels!