1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

speaking and listening moderation- paired discuss/argue/persuade ideas?

Discussion in 'English' started by leola, Feb 11, 2010.

1. leola

leola New commenter

We have a moderator coming in next week to moderate speaking and listening- i was wondering if anyone could possibly share any good discussion topics that they use? They will be paired up to talk, and the focus is on 'discuss/argue/persuade' . One boy is particularly weak,so am having difficulty thinking of inspiring topics that will prompt him!Any help is greatfully appreciated!xx

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Haven't actually planned it yet but I was going to fit a speaking and listening exercise into my 'Language of warfare' unit, looking at Henry V, Maggie Thatcher, Winston Churchill (possibly Hitler if I could find a suitable stimulus) and getting pupils to make a 'stirring speech' to persuade them to join their . . . . .Who gets the winning vote? type thing. Might not have time to prepare though if it's next week.

3. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

I found an idea on the resources section which I then used as a basis for speaking and listening for a few stragglers in year 11 who either had poor grades in their folders or had been absent. The great thing was it required no preparation time from the students.
    Got them into small groups and gave each group a large card which said "Personal happiness can be achieved by..." then gave them a range of about 16 things (eg. winning the lottery...enjoying good health... friends...job... appearing in Hello magazine etc. etc.). Their first task was to take them down to 9 cards, discussing / arguing / persuading why a particular card should stay or go. Then I got them to diamond 9 the remaining cards. I listened in to the discussion, so I'd say you could only mark one, perhaps 2 groups at a time? Then I asked each of them in turn which one card they would remove from their group's diamond, which they would replace it with and why.
    This task seemed to hit all the criteria. I would place them in ability pairs as far as possible, so no-one dominates too much, but not necessarily same gender.
    I hope this helps.

4. I've just stumbled across this on the forum and just want to say it's a fantastic idea - i'm going to try it out tomorrow with a high ability year 9 class. I'll upload any resources i use onto the resources to help others!

Once again - Thanks

5. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

Glad you like the idea! We, too, have moderator in next week! Another idea which I'm going to use is the following (given in advance so that students can do a little preparation)

title
    mpennington

Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-ansi-language:#0400;
    mso-fareast-language:#0400;
    mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

You are about to be cast ashore by mutineers, to be stranded
    on a desert island.

They will allow you to take three books (ie. one less than
    the number in your group), three pieces of music and one luxury item. You have to agree on what to take – if you
    can’t agree in the time given then you will be cast ashore with nothing!

Think about the items you would wish to take, and how you
    will persuade others to include yours rather than their items.
    I hope this also helps!

6. This is a great idea - I'm going to use it for my learners of English as a foreign language to improve their fluency. Thanks for sharing!

7. This sounds fantastic but I can't find it in the resources section. can you remember the title?
    Thank you