1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Speaking and Listening for a non-fiction unit

Discussion in 'English' started by Jenerena, Dec 29, 2011.

1. I'm a student teacher and I'm due to teach a non-fiction unit in January called 'Labels, lists and captions' for a R/Y1/Y2 class. My first three lessons will be focused on labels, then two days on lists, then 5 days on captions.The class theme will be 'good health' so I'm thinking of labelling a human body and listing some foods needed for a three-course meal.
    I want my first lesson to be very practical, fun and interactive so I can set them up well for reading/writing labels (through a Talk for Writin) approach but I'm struggling for ideas to support the speaking and listening objectives which would be suitable for such a mixed age class and also be relevant to this unit. I've thought of doing a 'who am I' game for which a child has a label on his back and he has to ask questions such as 'am I a food?' etc but I thought it might be a bit 'closed'.
    Any ideas?

2. Hi, you're basically focussing on a 'genre'. I have some computer game activities that are suitable at manxman.ch/moodle2
    Asking questions is a great way of focussing on learning language in a particular genre and I've had a lot of success basing lessons on learning 'blocks of meaning' appropriate to the context.
    Although I teach EFL abroad, I think the basic idea is still relevant to L1 activities.
    Regards