1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Speaking and listening at GCSE

Discussion in 'English' started by Doitforfree, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I wondered if anyone can give me (a parent) a bit of information about this part of the English exam? I've asked the school but as usual they've not responded. I don't even know what the exam board is, although I've asked. The class are doing the exam this term. Or is it even an exam? Is it done by the teacher or an external examiner?

We've been asked to help our children to prepare their topic and to ask questions. But we've got no guidance as to what is expected in the answers, the level of detail etc, or even how the questions are decided upon in the actual exam. Please can anyone enlighten me?! I'd be very grateful.

2. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

It depends on the year group to be honest. Anyone in year ten or younger will (most likely) be involved in internally assessment but externally moderated speaking and listening assessments. They are awarded a pass, merit, distinction and will receive a separate certificate on results day. They are usually assessed for their response in ' a formal setting' and their response to questioning, for example, but this varies slightly by exam board.

Current year 11? Most likely a similar story ( but grades A* -C etc) and depending on the course may or may not count towards their overall grade/ result for English or English language.

Tried to be brief! Hope this helps. Liz

3. Doitforfree

Sorry, year 11, and just about all I know is that it counts towards the final exam!

4. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Ask the class teacher in person.

5. Doitforfree

I've tried! No response. It's so frustrating. I want to help but I don't know how. The whole staff are expert at never communicating with parents, unless they want something.

6. musicaljim

musicaljim New commenter

It sounds like it might be the iGCSE if it's year 11, but the speaking and listening requirements vary between each exam board. Probably best to try and get in touch with the head of department if the class teacher's not available.