1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Speaking & Listening (WJEC) Functionality

Discussion in 'English' started by sunflower48, Oct 13, 2011.

1. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

We do WJEC and do our individual one as a presentation about their works experience. This is our functional one.

2. Thanks but as this is a PRU they're not let out into the world of work much but some do alternative provision so could use that. Spec asks for two though so need to think how can make discussion 'real'!

Have you done the Shakespeare/poetry assessment yet?

3. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

Yes just coming to the end of it. An absolute nightmare with the logistics of it, taking much too much time setting lessons for notes and then writing up. Another poster suggested splitting writing of this into three sections which we have but still taking ages for the whole thing to be complete. Not happy with the unit at all, the assessment time is eating into teaching time and matters made worse as all other subjects doing controlled assessments and we all want a bit of Y10/Y11!!!! I would love to know how everyone else structures the lessons and the actual writing up of the controlled assessment . Have you done the Shakespeare/poetry yet then?

4. All of it is like pulling teeth with my lot! Am ploughing through 'Of Mice & Men' Different Cultures prep work and shoe-horning in a drama speaking & listening to help with that. Previous teacher didn't do much in Y10 so I'm doing serious catch up and panic. It seems v unfair that the Shakespeare/Poetry is much more work but for no extra credit - is worth same marks as Different Cultures CA and both Writing ones - crazy stack up there! I'm going to split it into 3 like in the exemplar material but it's going to be tough...perhaps I'll get one of those other jobs am going for next week instead...