1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Speaking Activities

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by marmot.morveux, Apr 28, 2012.

1. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

I've been bringing a bigger emphasis on talking in lessons, and am currently researching other ways, including spontaneous talk. So what have we all tried recently to get pupils talking? I've been doing a lot of 'speed dating' and games such as battleships and trapdoor. ...obviously not ALL the time, as we're not here for edutainment. I've been doing quite a bit of phonics work and I quite like the pupils to read from my powerpoints, often at the same time. A third technique I'm using for the speaking controlled assessments to to have a slide with a full answer to a question, then the subsequent slide will have words missing. ...the pupils have to see if they can remember the missing words. The third slide will have them giving an answer without any stimulus. What else are we doing everyone?

2. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

For KS3 I have a speaking starter activity, to be used at least once a week. Give kids a sheet with a list of questions related to the topics they do, stick in front of books. Ask the questions (or get a pupil to ask them), and get one pupil in the class to be the "secrétaire" - basically have a sheet with the names of all pupils, give one tick per answered question. So many ticks produces a reward (sticker, sweet, merit, etc). With certain classes it was so well practised that I could leave them to it for 3 or 4 minutes whilst opening my files and powerpoints for the lesson: the "secrétaire" would ask the questions, record the points, etc. The advantage is that you constantly review topics, you get pupils used to the idea of answering questions and pupils can elect to speak or not, so even shy ones can choose an easy question to put their hand up for. You also have evidence to present to parents if pupils don't participate in class. Downside is that it sometimes feels a little forced (unless pupils like the question and then volunteer more content; my Y7 love telling me about the weather in French as soon as they walk in for instance!) and you need to use it regularly for pupils to be excited about it, so it can be time-consuming.

3. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

I like the sound of that Noemie! I also call speed dating 'hot desking'. With my KS3 classes, I stand them in a circle around the outside of the room, with KS4 classes, they remain sat down, then when I say 'avancez', (if they're in a circle) or 'changez de partenaires', if they're sat down. I have recently been using this for the last stage of a speaking assessment preparation.

4. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

I like surveys - pupils research a chosen topic - such as what time everyone gets up in the morning - and present the results as a bar chart or similar. That way you're keeping Ofsted happy by including numeracy. If everyone asks a different question it doesn't get so repetitive.
    I like all guessing activities or games. Pupils guess what pets I have at home or what instruments I play or what languages I speak. And then they do something similar in pairs - pupils write down an animal and partner guesses.
    You could play some music and everyone could walk around the room, and when the music stops they have to speak on a given topic with the person closest to them.