1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SPD

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Englishrose2010, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Hi all.
    I am 25 weeks pregnant and just been told by my doctor that I have SPD. I have been referred for some physio, but have been told that the NHS waiting will probably be 6-10 weeks. I think this is ridiculous as I will almost be ready to drop by then! I am going to research into going privately, but wanted to know if any of you ladies who have had it previously, if there is anything I can do to ease the pain? I am fairly ok at school at the moment and have to sit down occassionaly. The only thing I am really struggling with is writing reports and marking as I am finding sitting at a computer or desk for a long periods of time just so painful- or maybe im just using it as an excuse not to get them done?! lol.
    Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Hi all.
    I am 25 weeks pregnant and just been told by my doctor that I have SPD. I have been referred for some physio, but have been told that the NHS waiting will probably be 6-10 weeks. I think this is ridiculous as I will almost be ready to drop by then! I am going to research into going privately, but wanted to know if any of you ladies who have had it previously, if there is anything I can do to ease the pain? I am fairly ok at school at the moment and have to sit down occassionaly. The only thing I am really struggling with is writing reports and marking as I am finding sitting at a computer or desk for a long periods of time just so painful- or maybe im just using it as an excuse not to get them done?! lol.
    Thanks in advance for any help!

3. I had this and it is agony isn't it! I was referred to the physio and they confirmed it and gave me an insert for one of my shoes which helped. I was also told to sleep with a pillow between my legs to keep the affected joints at a steady difference and that helped too. There were also some exercises - perhaps google them?! It never went away but it was better on some days than others. It disappeared as soon as LO was born. Midwife has told me to expect it in subsquent pregnancies too - great! Hope this helps a little.

If you tell school they should add it to your risk assessment and make adaptations if possible

4. K76

K76

I wrote my reports sat on a birth ball - it really helps your pelvis.
    Pillow between legs at night
    Keep legs together as much as possible (even getting in car, etc.)
    I waited a month for physio app which was useless. I paid privately for an osteopath and it really really helped.
    It's horrible and won't go away but does become more manageable.
    Good luck.

5. My sister suffered with this very badly during her second pregnancy and saw a fantastic physiotherapist privately. If you live anywhere near the Gloucs area I can PM you with the physio's details.
    Sorry I can't offer any advice at all about how you can manage it. Other ladies on here will be far wiser than me. Take care, Englishrose.

6. Thanks for your help everyone. Unfortunately I live north of London, but thanks for the offer SuzeJ. I have an insole in my shoe and a step in my left shoe because I have had previous hip problems, and pregnancy has just made them worse. My hip sockets are slightly the wrong shape for my leg joints and left leg slightly shorter than the other. I am literally a walking disaster! I have a dream genii pillow which is helping. Its just frustrating not being comfortable! I will certainly try the birthing ball- I actually bought one the other day as someone else recommended it to sit on at a computer. Need to find a pump to blow it up! Will talk to SLT tomorrow to see if there is anything they can do at school to help. Risk assessment is pretty much non-existent and not worth the paper its written on! Why are some schools so rubbish at this?!