1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SPD pain - help!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Tangit, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Hi all
    I'm 27 weeks pregnant and have been suffering with SPD for at least the last 10 weeks. I have been going to physio at hospital for a while now and have moved from exercises to support belt and now to crutches. My pain is getting worse and worse instead of better; some days I can hardly walk. Today I stepped over a bench and yelped in pain - the other staff thought I was going into labour! Going up stairs is bad, walking is bad and sitting is even worse!!! ( I think sitting position is opening up my pelvis?? After all, that's what they tell you to do in labour)
    Most nights I am in tears with the pain and also just the helplessness and worry of it all - how will it effect the delivery? how will I manage after the baby is born? will there be permanent damage if I keep pushing myself? etc etc
    With Xmas coming up I feel I can see the end in sight (at least for a fortnight's rest!) but really don't know how the heck I'll manage in Jan as I'm planning to work until Feb half-term. I could start Mat leave early but obviously that means less time after the birth with the baby and also less £££ On the other hand, if I can't work due to illness then surely I should be signed off?
    Can anyone with experience of SPD tell me either how they coped or what they did in the end? How was the boirth and how were you afterwards? Did you go off sick and if so, did you actually have to ask the GP to do this? (my male GP is the most insensitive bloke going and told me it's just another pregnancy 'niggle'. I can hardly walk/sit/stand. Tell you what, I'll whack your cherries with a big almighty kick and then make you do the splits then you tell me if it's just a 'niggle' mate!)
    I feel a bit better now that my rant is over lol x

2. Hi all
    I'm 27 weeks pregnant and have been suffering with SPD for at least the last 10 weeks. I have been going to physio at hospital for a while now and have moved from exercises to support belt and now to crutches. My pain is getting worse and worse instead of better; some days I can hardly walk. Today I stepped over a bench and yelped in pain - the other staff thought I was going into labour! Going up stairs is bad, walking is bad and sitting is even worse!!! ( I think sitting position is opening up my pelvis?? After all, that's what they tell you to do in labour)
    Most nights I am in tears with the pain and also just the helplessness and worry of it all - how will it effect the delivery? how will I manage after the baby is born? will there be permanent damage if I keep pushing myself? etc etc
    With Xmas coming up I feel I can see the end in sight (at least for a fortnight's rest!) but really don't know how the heck I'll manage in Jan as I'm planning to work until Feb half-term. I could start Mat leave early but obviously that means less time after the birth with the baby and also less £££ On the other hand, if I can't work due to illness then surely I should be signed off?
    Can anyone with experience of SPD tell me either how they coped or what they did in the end? How was the boirth and how were you afterwards? Did you go off sick and if so, did you actually have to ask the GP to do this? (my male GP is the most insensitive bloke going and told me it's just another pregnancy 'niggle'. I can hardly walk/sit/stand. Tell you what, I'll whack your cherries with a big almighty kick and then make you do the splits then you tell me if it's just a 'niggle' mate!)
    I feel a bit better now that my rant is over lol x

3. That sounds utterly horrendous. I had quite disabling pelvic pain with my first pregnancy but no-where near what you describe. The only think is that it was at its worst at around the stage you are at, so don't assume it will keep getting worse (which I did)
    I think you need to get an appointment with someone to discuss a plan of how to get through the next few weeks. This is serious, not a niggle. I would start by ringing your midwife and asking her to refer you to the consultant obstetrician at your hospital urgently (and demand to see the consultant not one of his/her registrars). You need proper advice on what to do/ not to do to exacerbate the problem and also what pain relief you are able to take.
    In terms of your GP isn't there another one you can see at the practice? Or if not can't you transfer to a different practice? He sounds like a right pillock.

4. I have SPD in this pregnancy and did in my first too. This time I was given crutches by 23 weeks. I use these regularly now.
    I've stopped seeing physio now as they have said there is nothing else they can do. My midwife is understanding and I'm seeing a consultant next week anyway to discuss birth but this is because of 1st birth not SPD. However, I am concerned about birthing positions. There's no way I could open my legs very far!! I had water birth last time as they said this might help with pain, which it did a little.
    Advice: Try not to sit still for too long, I find I stiffen up on an evening if I sit still for too long. Have showers not baths. Lots of pillows to sleep and try not to turn over (easier said than done I know.) I finished at 32 weeks in this pregnancy as it was too painful being at work, but didn't get signed off, just started maternity leave early. In my first pregnancy my school allowed me to work 1/2 days so I could still go in.
    I know how difficult it is and not everyone is sympathetic, you just have to find what works for you. Good luck

5. Thanks ladies! [​IMG]

6. Hi there

I had completely debilitating SPD when I was pregnant with twins this time last year. It's truly horrendous and I was on crutches by the 3rd tri. Nothing really helped except the Doctor ended up prescribing me co-codyml pain killers at the end which eased things slightly. I didn't take any time off sick,mainly due to the fact my intention was to start mat leave at 32 weeks anyway but I asked to stop teaching as I had problems walking so I just did a lot of paper shuffling by the end.

As for the birth, well I had a c section so can't help you with the question of whether it will affect delivery options but what I can tell you is that after giving birth I felt instantly better. It sounds mad but post c section felt more bearable than pre and withinn hours I was able to hobble up the corridor of the hospital. I loved finding my ability to walk and was up and about within days, back in the gym after 6 weeks and able to run 10 k after 6 months. I still sometimes get twinges ie I ran up hill last week and was in agony so it's not completely gone but giving birth made a massive difference. Just hang on in there.

7. I am also suffering from SPD during my pregnancy. It's my first pregnancy but we sort-of expected it as I have joint hypermobility anyway, and had been seeing a sports physio for problems with my hips (I have a horse that I compete on) prior to falling pregnant. I am 30 weeks today :) so the end is in sight...
    I have had 2 periods of sick-absence. The first was at 19 weeks, 3 days with sciatica! However I had to be signed off by my GP for 3 weeks at 25 weeks pregnant because the pain was so bad I couldn;t stand up for more than 10 minutes. Even walking from my classroom to the staffroom and back was agony. I teach early years and couldn't sit in the chairs let alone fasten coats etc and can't pick anything up off the floor. It's not a classroom where you can sit at a desk or anything like that! I can't sleep at night which has made me really tired at work, driving has been agony, and I spend half the time crying. It really is horrendous.
    I have had physio and been given a support belt, I also have a walking stick. i declined crutches but can have them if they are needed. THe physio gave me exercises and said I had to TAKE IT EASY - no lifting, moving quickly, bending etc. If I don't then I will have permanent damage and problems during birth. So Husband (also a teacher) has insisted on this during the xmas holidays. Rest has certainly helped a lot and I have managed to be able to get on my feet to do shopping etc! I have been told that once baby is born, PROVIDED I take care now and do my exercises I should be back on my feet fairly quick and can start 'high impact' exercise after 3 months - by then I will be desperate to get back on my horse.
    I am now trying to decide whether or not to go back next week, because some days are better than others and I might be ok but I might not... I have 2 weeks to work before Mat leave starts on 20.1.12. So my mat leave is due to start on week 33 - I am so glad with it being my first that I was cautious and arranged mat leave early. There are also other issues at my school - I have been treated very badly by other staff members because I have been off sick for so long (3 weeks is SUCH a long time...) and I was also diagnosed with stress - probably caused by a combination of the SPD and the lovely people I work with...

My advice to you would be that YOU and BABY come first, before school. Your doctor sounds like an idiot. Get your midwife to speak to him or get a new doctor. You are compromising your future health, your pain sounds as bad as mine ie it makes you yelp at times... Not nice for the children you are teaching and not nice for you. If you can;t manage it then get signed off or start your mat leave earlier.

8. Hi,
    Was wondering how you were feeling now and just wanted to add a hopeful note!
    I had similar levels of awful SPD with my last pregnancy ( dreading a recurrence which is why I was looking on here for advice - wasn't teaching during the last one past first trimester)
    Also a terrible doctor now I remember him! However.... labor was actually fine - lots of standing and very little intervention from sensitive midwives in a very supportive home birth.
    The afterwards bit was more grotty ( I had to go into hospital in the end (excessive bleeding) but again my wonderful midwife had measured the distance I could comfortably part my legs and was very forceful in making the doctors respect that.
    The best thing of all though was that the SPD completely vanished within days of the birth, never to return. Amazing relief! My physio said this is quite common so hopefully you will have a similar result..............
    Hope you are doing well despite horrible, horrible pain, I could not have worked through as you are doing!
    X

9. Hi
    I've not been on here in ages - happy 2012 to you all and your bumps/babies!!!
    I had check-up with another Dr last week who was very sympathetic. He couldn't believe I was still working and told me I must take it easy (or I could do long-term damage) and just to go back to him if I needed to be signed off work. So tomorrow I'm going back to work for the week and will try to tie everything up and leave things a bit organised as I'm going to take up his offer and get signed off. It means I'll be on sick leave for 4 weeks and then mat leave will kick-in at 36 weeks - I'm happy with that.
    As for the pain, we'll I'm on crutches and physio told me not to bother coming back basically, as there was nothing more he could do (he's keeping it open for me though if I have more trouble or for after the birth).
    I was much better during the holidays and got a decent rest but as soon as I came back to work this week it started all over again and worse (prob now baby is getting bigger too). Stairs/steps are a nightmare!
    I've been referred for acupuncture but goodness knows how ong the waiting list is.
    Thanks for the positive info, Vicky. Hopefully, It'll all be fine both during and after the actual labour :)

10. Hospital consultant reckons I'm starting off with it already - have been in so much pain trying to walk the dogs on a morning I've sobbed my way around the park (doesn't help that the only way I can walk remotely comfortably is to try not to separate my legs so I was a sobbing, mincing nutcase attached to two lunatic dogs)... I've rapidly figured out I can't do that sort of stuff, and the poor dogs are down to one walk a day (which I help with on days I can) and I feel awful about it.
    Not in with the midwife for another 3 weeks (and she's STILL not got her appointments for next month onto the GP's system to be able to book one) but it's top of my list of things to mention there - not that they'll be able to do anything, with my weight I suspect I won't even get a referral for physio and will just be told to suffer it out.