1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spare twenty minutes- but limited...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by LizzieTish, Feb 11, 2012.

1. LizzieTish

LizzieTish New commenter

Hi all... I'm in the process of reorganising the timetable for Reception class. My problem is that Nursery and Reception are 2 small classrooms with provision areas shared between the two rooms and outside for all the children (50). The outdoor environment is accessed off the Nursery room. At 11 am the two classes separate so that children can gather in key worker groups (both classes do Phonics) and then at 11.30 the Nursery children have their lunch in their classroom, so that area is out of bounds for Reception. The Nursery area leads to outdoors, so it would be disruptive to them if we were to go out through Nursery. Please can anyone think of any worthwhile, whole-class activities which I can carry-out each day without a TA to follow the Phonics session and 'fill the gap' before the children start to get ready for their lunch at 11.50? It's such an awkward time, and I don't want them sitting! Thanks in advance.[​IMG]

2. LizzieTish

LizzieTish New commenter

Hi all... I'm in the process of reorganising the timetable for Reception class. My problem is that Nursery and Reception are 2 small classrooms with provision areas shared between the two rooms and outside for all the children (50). The outdoor environment is accessed off the Nursery room. At 11 am the two classes separate so that children can gather in key worker groups (both classes do Phonics) and then at 11.30 the Nursery children have their lunch in their classroom, so that area is out of bounds for Reception. The Nursery area leads to outdoors, so it would be disruptive to them if we were to go out through Nursery. Please can anyone think of any worthwhile, whole-class activities which I can carry-out each day without a TA to follow the Phonics session and 'fill the gap' before the children start to get ready for their lunch at 11.50? It's such an awkward time, and I don't want them sitting! Thanks in advance.[​IMG]

3. Sing, rhymes with the emphasis on the phoneme, action rhymes. Do you have IWB ? I use some fabulous songs from there to link with the phonics sessions. I teach reception and have found these useful and to consolidate ... and fun! Go to Youtube 'alphabet songs' there are heaps.And do be very discerning!

4. If you have a whiteboard & internet access try boogie beebees its great and will get them active before they eat. Or how about a maths activity on the whiteboard/active rhymes like 5 little spacemen etc. Circle games..ring a roses, in & out the dusty bluebells???

5. Have you ever used the 'Music Express' programme? It comes with complete lesson plans, CDs of the music and songs and a CD Rom containing all the pictures etc you might need. Each lesson has 3-4 sections (based on the stepping stones) so you can pick the one which is at the level you want, or just start with the first and work through. The sessions can be anything from 10 minutes to half an hour and my class love them.

You don't need to be desperately musical to be able to follow the programme and neither do you need a huge array of musical instruments, just a good supply of untuned percussion. Music Express is published by AC Black.

There is also 'Singing Express' which I bought but haven't used yet, so am unable to evaluate.

Another good programme is 'Singing Phonics' based on Letters and Sounds, although this might be too much after having already had a phonics session.

I also use a battered photocopied book called '101 Rhythm Instrument Activities for Young Children' which I think is published by Gryphon House. It is full of very simple activities, often based on well-known tunes/songs, using simple percussion. I have no idea whether it is still in print but I would thoroughly recommend it.

6. Hi there, in my setting I have just downloaded some phonic songs and we use this before lunch,some children choose to get Pom poms,some choose to dance and other sing along ,you can do this on whiteboard or use the computer if you have access .when you look for songs on YouTube there are phonics 1,2 and 3 so you can start at 1 and go fourth and conquer lol hope this helps. :)

7. LizzieTish

LizzieTish New commenter

Many thanks for all your ideas. Am feeling more inspired!