1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

spare time

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dancetiludrop, Nov 28, 2011.

1. ...what's spare time?

2. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Computer games?
    Cheap and relaxing.

3. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

I do morris dancing and am in a community choir.

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

im to old to do dancing i think......and my voice is shot as i ruined it singing witha cold doing christmas carols in the street witha church group........I would so love a singing voice so i could join in a choir!

5. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

cooking classes
    reading
    watching dvds
    messing about on the internet

6. Killer Sudoku. Google it If you like maths puzzles.

7. Kacres, have you tried Killer Kakuro yet? It's the dog's ***.

8. charlotte.johnson06

charlotte.johnson06 New commenter

I do adult tutoring and volunteering in my spare time.
    I am currently volunteering with the local council as a junior warden and it is fun for me because I am working with 9-14 year olds [​IMG]. I am also being sorted to volunteer as a adult learner with the local council to help adult learners on non-exam accredited courses.
    Maybe you could look into something like that? They pay for the course and you learn alongside your learning partner.

9. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

I agree that the concept of "spare" time might be erroneous. Time should never be devalued all activity should have its own intrinsic value. I am fortunate in that I am able to choose what I want to do at all times. Sometimes that means I choose to engage in work/activity that brings me some money, sometimes I choose to engage in work/activitythat is to support others or purely for personal pleasure. Sometimes I indulge myself in nonsense.
    It seems to me olds that your endless search for happiness is thwarted by your perceived lack of choices, you see yourself as the victim of circumstance rather than the creator of opportunity. Free yourself to be able to choose how you spend your day and you will find the contentment that you appear to be searching for x

10. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

I also knit, sew and do card making

11. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Oldie...only you can decide what hobbies you would enjoy!

I enjoy cooking - reading cook books, watching foodie TV and cooking,,,and eating!
    I like needlecrafts - embroidery, crochet and bobbin-lace-making.
    I still enjoy my 'story' writing. (If you go down this route.... you might want to get a spell-checker and someone to act as your beta-reader [​IMG])
    I have started sketching and painting. I'm far from gifted, but am pleasantly surpised at how 'regonizable' my pencil sketches are!
    I usually have a couple of academic studies on the go...the OU have some excellent, free, online material. ....and I often have a Bible/Theology related topic under consideration too.

Apart from the actual cooking, all my hobbies tend to be things that I can work on and then put to one side. ..sometimes for weeks or even months if ill-health/disability means I can't enjoy them. Having a variety of interests means there's usually something I can manage.

12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I sing in a choir. Not all choirs need you to have a great voice, mine has improved with practice but I also suffer from teaching with colds for far too many years. Community choirs may take allcomers.
    I'm in two walking groups - a small annual sub and then great walks and you don't argue about the route - I don't need to point out the health advantages.
    CAB - but as you're still working it wouldn't suit you. For ex-teacher volunteers it uses a lot of the skills you've developed and stretches you a bit but you can pass all the tricky cases onto someone whose paid to do it - bliss.
    Pilates and yoga. Local gym has low cost membership for over 60s. Mrs O might object to you going to classes with so many women though. You could pump iron in the gym of course but it really is boring. Maybe there are other more man orientated classes.

13. Im learning how to ballroom dance and I love it- As me and my friends doing it are the youngest in the class by at least 20yrs I wouldn't worry about not being able to do it. (Were all 25-30)

14. oldsomeman

Thank you for your lovely suggestions.. I will consider all you say.
    Maybe, as some one pointed out im more worrying than doing.........i do have painting equipment, but cant seem to settle to getting it all out and actually doing..id love room i could set up as a sort of studio in which i dodnt have to dismantle stuff at the end of each session.... and there always seems to be someone who wants your time.
    i can do Sakudo...but only in short bursts,get fed up at computergames as they are boring, son tried to interest me in Warhammer stuff but i quickly got bored...and was easy to outwit his stratagies lol.
    I love to talk.in case folk have not noticed( my teachers always did say i say i suffered fron verbal diarrea) I have been looking for a discussion group locally or online forum but with little success....as most tend ....(bit like opinion) to deteriote into slanging matches or a reiteration of ideas with no real debate.
    I do have 90x30 feet allotments to cultivate and maintain my wifes web site, but i feel i need to be doing more .or at least different.
    I even reconsidered last night re learning the guitar ,or even learning how to play my accordion( although I will need to get it serviced first as its not been stored correctly )Assuming i can afford a tutor.
    I do have photography which i enjoy when i can get out....and i have as bethannie sugests ideas for books to write.although im better at telling stories than writing them i think......at least the children in school seem to enjoy them..maybe I need a ghost writer for my ideas as i get lazy typing and my fingers can't keep up with my brain(well its my excuse for poor spelling lol)

15. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

How about this
    http://www.musicroom.com/Browse/Arrangement.aspx?category_id=store3_arrangementgroup3_arrangement1
    then you can get going without a tutor.
    If folk is your thing there might be music sessions in pubs in your area that you can just go along to and join in when you feel comfortable. My husband is currently trying to do 20 mins melodeon practice every day.

16. oldsomeman

ta Ruthie

17. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

If you like art/painting Oldie, then you don't need loads of equipment,
    Do you have a Nintendo DS? If not then maybe think about getting a second-hand one (not that expensive as most people are after the new 3D version) As well as plenty of games you might like, you can get the Art Academy. This is actually what got me started! There are 'lessons' where you learn techniques - and it really does feel quite like using a pencil and a brush! Then you can use the camera to take photos and copy the pictures.....I have moved on to 'proper' artwork...I still copy but I use pencils and paper! A pack of decent pencils doesn't cost much (I use an HB, a 2H and a 2B.....jsut 3 pencils!) add an eraser and some paper and you're good to go!.....Some basic watercolour paints can be added later......you say yopu already have some eqioment, so just get out the basics.
    I know that MrsOlds likes her knitting....so is there some craft-y project you could do together? Are you any good at fret-work? I'm thinking the two of you could furnish a dolls' house as a gift for some child?

18. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

My local library wanted someone to read stories to littleuns. I found out by logging on to a 'volunteer' website (can't remember name now sorry). Perhaps you could google for that. And U3A may have a discussion group in your area, try that. As a new retireee I have looked at what is out there but I have decided not to commit myself just yet - although I have a couple of primary kids I tutor together once a week.

19. Angie I thought your main outlet in your spare time was trying on FMBs... :¬))