1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spare teacher

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mprimaryz, Mar 13, 2012.

1. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

If you had a spare teacher in school what would you want them to do besides PPA cover being the most obvious.

Pull out children for intervention groupstrain up support staffany ideas welcome

2. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

If you had a spare teacher in school what would you want them to do besides PPA cover being the most obvious.

Pull out children for intervention groupstrain up support staffany ideas welcome

3. IMHO single most useful thing is reading recovery.

4. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Maybe some mentoring for areas that they are strong in and others are struggling with? Could they help with planning at all? Year 6 boosters?

5. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Team teaching for support/training. G&T groups. If you set for Maths and Literacy put in an extra set in a struggling year group so each group has smaller class sizes. Assessment moderation.

6. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

I think this depends on what is a priority for your school.
    For us it would be:
    • supporting the lowest attaining children (Numbers Count and Reading Recovery),
    • supporting less experienced staff with planning and developing guided work,
    • supporting TAs to develop their practice
    Carrie [​IMG]

7. Use them to supervise the class while I do intervention.I know what I need to teach to the children with greatest needs. It's easier for me to leave work for the others

8. For us it would be a combination of things. It depends on how long you can "afford" the spare teacher.
    It is nice for additional groups in Maths and language but I think there are sometimes short term gains in this. 30 or so minutes out even once a week means they miss something else.
    To be blunt letting staff have additional PPA would be the greatest benefit. Staff would have more time to prepare resources and would less exhausted in front of their own class so would be more effective in the long term.
    If we were to blessed with a "spare" teacher it would mean half a day every other week extra , thus in Week 1 we would have say half a day and in week 2, a full day, week three half a day and so on.
    By having a full day out, we could observe good practise in other schools, other classes, take additional training etc.
    I have so much I need to do just to support my language support, at risk kids etc etc etc, half a day a fortnight extra would be most welcome.

9. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

I agree with LGR22 -I would find it most useful as a teacher to have someone who was a strong teacher to team teach with me - possibly support or withdraw a group or individual during input, then take over managing the class while I removed a group from the room to get really focused support.
    I find that the biggest problem I have with withdrawal groups is that the teacher withdrawing the children doesn't consult me about what they intend to do with them, and I end up chasing them so I can have some input and feedback. I find this really frustrating when I know how much use I would make of that time with their groups - it is such a waste of time to take the group once a week, do a quick activity and send them back without tailoring to their needs.
    Also agree with extra non-contact - if there is the possibility of them taking responsibility for a subject eg. music, MFL, PE across the school that would give teachers that bit of extra time for prep I think that would have a beneficial effect on everyone due to increased staff morale and wellbeing.