1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spanish trip- recommendations needed

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by nicmac, Jul 9, 2011.

1. I have taken students to Barcelona before but it was more of a 'congratulations for working hard' trip after they completed their GCSE early. I now want to do a trip with a language element for students having studied Spanish for only a year- maybe get them doing a few lessons- the questions are: which company to use? Where to go? Does adding language lessons mean the cost would be significantly higher? I'm thinking Madrid, Valencia or Andalucia- any advice/ideas?
    Thanks

2. Have you considered an exchange? We have links with a school just outside Barcelona and manage to do a 10 day trip for about £350 including flights and 3 excursions. I know people see exchanges as being a lot of work but they really are an excellent way to make pupils enthusiastic about languages. The school we work with are looking for more partner schools for next year if you are interested.

3. Thank you for the reply Gecco. We already do an exchange in Berlin and and Paris,so it wouldn't be out of the question. We'll be lucky if we can go for five days though- you are so lucky to be able to do ten! The only problem we have is trying to find hosts back here. How do you deal with that? I'll speak to my HOF and get back to you- three exchanges might be a bit much.

4. mpc

mpc

To be honest with you, I think any trip to Spain is a linguistic experience.
    We do Barcelona (ooohhh get her!) and large parts of it are fun but kids still engage with the language and do their bit. For youngsters who haven't had much exposure, an exchange (although absolutely brilliant) may be a bit full on.
    We use NST. I've never researched language lessons with them but it could well be that they do offer them.
    Good luck!
    mpc

5. Thanks for your reply mpc. You are right, any trip is a good language trip- I am really leaning towards Madrid, Valencia or Andalucia, particularly Seville. I think it would be better as a trip, as already mentioned in my previous post we already have two exchanges, three might be pushing it!