1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spanish Teaching

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Andy1671, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Andy1671

Andy1671 New commenter

I joined this forum to find out as much information as i can about teaching in Spain. If anyone can give me some pointers in the Do's and Dont's or the experiences they have had. Its a big step moving to another countryand still need to convince the missus. I've got my eye on a school that is for sale and going whole hog taking the plunge.
    What are the wages like as a teacher and what i should expect as a teacher/owner.

2. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

Could you be a bit more specific?
    What is that you are planning to do?

3. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

And where in Spain are you planning to do it?

4. jomaimai

Yep, because most autonomous communities have full education competency.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

May I just say that one should perhaps take the information requests of some posters with a little caution?

Andy tells us elsewhere that he is currently a HGV driver . . .

Best wishes

6. Andy1671

Andy1671 New commenter

Its in Southern Spain and the hours are afternoons only Mon-Thurs

7. Andy1671

Andy1671 New commenter

Its a whole new career change im thinking about. Instead of working long hours on the road, never knowing when im home. There is a opportunity to be my own boss in Spain with great rewards. Good wages and only having to work about 20 hours a week.
    I was after anyone's experiences who may be living and working in Spain or have lived in Spain.
    I want to be able to go and visit this school with some insight rather than going in blind

8. Andy1671

Andy1671 New commenter

I've got an opportunity to purchase an up and running private school that employs 3 teachers
    Working for myself sounds promising.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes indeed.

Especially in view of this post:

HERE

¡Cuéntaselo a tu abuela, Andy!

Best wishes

10. Andy1671

Andy1671 New commenter

I have worked for the same company for 13 years and got a First and Final written warning for something that the company has asked me to do for years. I had a second meeting yesterday and my Union Rep soon sorted them out.
    All charges dropped.

11. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Andy: Are you a trained, qualified, experienced teacher?

12. Andy1671

Andy1671 New commenter

In my email in box, I had this reply from a forum member. I assume that the mods removed it but I thought I would paste and copy it here.......

At least TES mods allow HGV drivers to participate in the forums, they prefer to ban those with 25 years on the circuit.

I would like to know why being an HGV driver has something to do with someone being banned ?
    You might think im a low life greasy lorry driver who has no intelligence apart from being able to turn a steering wheel but im doing very well for myself thank you. I own my house outright in a nice part of the Kent countryside and have 2 decent cars on the driveway. I came on to this forum to get some advice about teaching in Spain. I come from a teaching background as my father was an English teacher until his untimely passing November last year. My mother is also an English teacher. It seems to me, it looks like discrimination because of the job or education that a person has. Everybody has a second chance to change their life and career, and not to be judged by someone's blinkered standards. Maybe I'll become a better teacher because of my life experiences and maybe I will have a talent for this line of work.
    Rant over, I'm going to practice joined up handwriting with crayons

13. Mainwaring

So you're not a trained, qualified, experienced teacher.

My dad served a full apprenticeship as an electrician but I don't rewire houses because I'd certainly kill people. My mother was an RLSS qualified swimming teacher but I don't do that either because I prefer not to be responsible for drowning the pupils. I admire the (qualified) young woman who drives the school bus safely and confidently to and from our Spanish village every day but I wouldn't dream of asking her to let me have a turn at the volante because I know for a fact that the kiddies would all end up splattered at the bottom of some rocky arroyo. Ditto if I tried to drive your lorry without the HGV training you certainly have.

Here in Spain the civil authorities have the quaint idea that teachers ought to be qualified in teaching. Students and parents harbour similar prejudices. You are planning to be a head of school. Teachers don't respect unqualified, inexperienced heads.

My own career in teaching has been supported by a BA Hons English, an MA and a Cert Ed. I taught for 18 years before taking on my first headship. You won't need all of that to make a start. You want advice? Here it is: Spend three or four years studying for a BEd and then another three or four (minimum) learning to do the job. Then you might just be in with a chance.

14. Andy1671

Andy1671 New commenter

My father had the same qualifications as yourself, so I understand the hard work and studying that is involved to achieve those. The school is a private English school that does evening classes to children of all ages. The school has four classrooms with the current owner teaching themselves as well as three qualified teachers. I've seen the school accounts and there is still enough money in it if I employed a fourth teacher for me to have a decent wage. In the mean time I'll be learning and studying for my qualifications. I'm forty four and still have plenty of teaching years ahead of me even with the years of studying. Thank you for your advice Mainwaring its really appreciated.

15. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

So not a school then., more an language centre offering evening classes. Do you have a CELTA? If not, do the students know you don't know what you're doing.
    It's OK for someone like Captain to have qualifications and not know what they're doing, but you need the qualifications to at least begin to know you are misplaced.

As a teenager I went out with a girl who was very obliging. Her brother was as thick as a brick shiite house but wanted to be a doctor, he genuinely couldn't understand why no clinic would accept him without even a CSE to his name; very much Boys from the Blackstuff era.

As the Captain says, you cannot teach in a real school without a qualification, Andy.

Slow learner or lack of ambition?

16. Andy1671

Andy1671 New commenter

I would never pretend to know what I was doing, as the end of year exam results would soon show my teacher failings. I would be in the background until such time I had the qualifications that I needed
    No I don't have CELTA / TEFL but this is the type of information I'm after from this forum.
    I'm wanting to know what is needed to make this venture work rather than finding out later. I know in Spain they love their paperwork and to put official stamps on everything.
    Thank you Principal Skinner

17. Mainwaring

'Slow learner or lack of ambition?'

The former. I wanted to know the job thoroughly rather than look like a Bart Simpson caricature.

18. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

you didn't pass the test on the benefits of self deprecation, then?

19. Mainwaring

No, I left that one for you and Dave Bowie Eff, assuming (on somewhat slender evidence) that 'he' isn't you muttering to yourself.

20. jomaimai

JA!

Spanish paperwork x 1 zillion = British paperwork

Andy1671 likes this.