1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spanish teacher from The Bahamas wanting to teach in the UK

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by rencurry, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I'm a Spanish teacher from The Bahamas with four years of teaching experience. I pretty good stable life here in The Bahamas but my dream is to move to the UK along with my husband and children to teach. I've seen many positions advertised for french teachers but rarely come across positions for teachers of Spanish. I would like to know what you think my chances are of being hired for a spanish teaching position being an overrseas trained teacher?

2. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I think that having Spanish qualifications may put you at a disadvantage because British headteachers do not know what they represent and are more familiar with UK qualifications. For example they can recognise the reputation of a university or quality of a degree from the UK.
    On the other hand there may be an increase in the demand for Spanish teachers soon as the Ebacc dipoloma begins to raise the number of pupils doing languages at key Stage 4.
    Another factor will be where you might wish to work. Demand for teachers is variable depending on the region.

3. Thank you for your response but let me clarify one thing; my degree was obtain from the university here in The Bahamas which was a former colony of Britain until 1973 but we still follow the UK's education system although it has been slightly contaminated by amercian's. I have checked with the UK NARIC and my degree is recognised as being on par with a degree obtained in the UK.
    Once a again thank you for your response as it gives me a bit of hope:)

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Why on earth would you want to do this?

5. Hi Cat, I guess it goes back to that old saying if one man's rubbish being another's treasure. As a child, I dreamt of running away to Ireland to see the beautiful landscapes and the leprechauns of course! As a young adult I got that opportunity in the form a working holiday visa. I worked as a barmaid for the first few months and the “lovely” opportunity of cleaning a public toilet! I then took a job elsewhere but in my spare time I travelled to the various parts of the UK and Europe. Although very nice I always felt that there was something missing...that was until I went to visit Scotland. Within two weeks of my visit, I put in for a transfer to the branch in Glasgow. In Glasgow I bucked with a good, the bad, the ugly and the neds! But for the first time in my life I felt at home! I felt more at home than I felt in my own Bahama land. After my visa had expired, I packed up and came back home. Did the grown up thing of going back and completing uni, got married and had children. I am able to pay all my bills and my children are healthy and are thriving but for me I am dying inside. I feel as though I am a guess in the Bahamas and that its time for me to go HOME. I know that if i am aboe to get a schoolto sponsor me that it the beginning it will be challenging but I know that with the right mindset it will be ok.

6. Thank underwear for being so forthright and direct. I know now that I already at a disadvantage not being able to teach both languages this is what I meant by out British education system style being polluted by the American style because up until the late mid 90s the modern language teaching programme here meant having to major in French and Spanish but when I started be degree in the early 2000s it had been change to either French or Spanish and so I chose Spanish. I do have many strikes against me but I am determine to at least give it a go.
    I don’t mind working at a “bad” school if it means being able to work in the UK. Do you have any recommendations? How would you suggest I go about getting in contact with them? Thank you for the suggestion about the teacher exchange programme. I did query about it at the ministry of education here in The Bahamas but they weren’t very helpful and I did a bit online hunting but only came across UK-US exchanges but I’ll try again
    You mention strategies for teaching, learning and behaviour, In a nutshell can you explain how you feel these strategies employed in Caribbean schools differ to that in theUK? Your feedback would be greatly appreciated

7. Sorry for all the errors. I tried correcting them in the three minute timelibe but it didnt take

8. undiwear

undiwear New commenter

If you don't mind a rough school it would be better to apply in cities with a larger West Indian population because your cultural heritage is a + in your favour. Nottingham, Liverpool, Birmingham, Manchester come to mind. I exclude London because of the cost of living.

I wouldn't want to say too much about different teaching strategies because I would be making a lot of presumptions about your training and UK training which is unfair. I suggest you read threads on the behavioural and teaching methods (I am sure TES has these but can't name them properly without going ot have a look.) Read and search Overseas trained teachers forum too. All I will say is that I found students in the Caribbean much more forgiving to teachers' shortcomings, more willing to work and learn independently and more of them actually want to be there and actively take part in the learning process right across the ability range and soci-economic areas. Here in many places you will be eaten alive if you don't hit the ground running. And I say this with much empathy with the communities in which I have worked.

9. Thank you one again Undiwear. I have begun looking at various forums as you suggested and will continue to get insight from teachers working in the UK. So far the only difference I’ve seen is that here in The Bahamas corporal punishment is still used as a form of discipline. Although class teachers can no longer administer corporal punishment administration still does. A teacher in the UK asked me what I'd do if a student were to spit at me, tell me to F off, or throw an object at me? I must admit that I thought she was joking for second but I told her that in all three scenarios the student would be taken to the office, caned, sent on a nice holiday or sent to a reform school for boys/girls for a certain period or expelled from school. You talked of getting eating alive if you don’t hit the ground running and I must say that the same applies here. Short of being spitting or being so defiant as to curse you in your face, students here can and do make some teachers life a living hell. If you don’t amuse, entertain, teach for their individual learning style and not to mention rule with an iron fist then pardon the Bahamian expression but "the dog will eat your lunch" I know that I will have to eliminate some of my approaches to classroom management and incorporate new ones because from talking to teachers there in the UK I know that some of the ones that are I currently use here in The Bahamas have long been abated there in the UK