1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spanish teacher from South America looking for advice.

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Colombianteacher13, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Hey there,Im a Colombian MFL teacher with six years teaching experience in Colombia, Plus a Master degree
    well I got married with a British and move to London, well I have not go a QTS and I was thinking about go into PGCE , but just wanna know if is EASY OR DIFFICULT to FIND a JOB as a SPANISH TEACHER here, honestly the PGCE is very expensive and I wanna know if it's worth it, or SHALL I use my Languages skills in other kind of job,
    I know the PGCE is the best option than hope to get in a OTTP.
    JUST NEED TO KNOW HOW BIG IS THE DEMAND OF SPANISH TEACHERS.
    Thanks and have a great day!

2. Hi
    I am an adult student of Spanish. I used to have a Columbian teacher, she is also married to a British citizen and has children. She was a phenomenal teacher and we valued her very highly. She applied for a job as a Spanish teacher at a local grammar school and despite not having QTS was appointed I imagine because she had been so successful teaching adults. She is now doing her QTS alongside teaching which is very hard.
    I was told that a post in a local school for a Spanish teacher attracted 80 applicants, mostly from highly educated Spanish applicants but they lacked QTS.
    So based on this I would say that getting into teaching via adult education is one route, otherwise you will need to do PGCE to be considered.
    To encourage you the area where I live has had a real problem recruiting a suitable native speaking Spanish teacher.

3. Hey OTTER,
    Thanks for your words.. Could you pls tell me How I get into adult education? and which area are you living in.. I may apply for a job there..:)
    Have a nice day and thanks for your thoughts.

4. I would put together a cv orientated towards adult education. Then send it to every adult education service within a distance you are prepared to travel. You could also check their websites for vacancies. Our local adult ed service advertises in the local papers when they have posts.
    You could be appointed without an adult ed teaching qual, but would be expected to study for one.
    I don't know if that helps.

5. Hello,
    There are not many jobs in adult education teaching languages. Most colleges are closing down their languages departments or sizing down. Even 4-5 years ago when there were still more jobs, the language jobs would only be a few hours a week, this means maybe 3 or at the most 4 hours. So, it's not a good thing if you need to work full-time. Your best bet are private classes or working for "private language schools", like "academias de idiomas". But that is going to be also probably just a few hours a week.

In secondary schools these days they are asking for at least two languages (normally Spanish and French). I don´t know when OTTER's friend got her offer, but I can tell you that unless you are so good that you blow them away I think it is very unlikely anybody nowadays would hire you without QTS and only one language.

You can try private schools who are not obliged to take QTS teachers. Of course, the salary difference is very big.

Also, the way they teach languages in secondary school in the UK and other countries is very different. So, you may want to have a look at that and see if you feel comfortable with that teaching methodology-style. And take into account that most schools will be more interested in seeing how you can control a class and keep them on task, basically stopping them from throwing chairs and tables around in the first place, and teaching then.

It's not impossible, but just so you know. I also know somebody who came from Colombia and got a job as an unqualified teacher, she was actually a teacher in Colombia with many years experience. After a few years the school put her through the proper training for overseas qualified teachers, but that was about 8 years ago, when there was more money

6. Hello Henriette,
    Thanks for the advise.. Have a great day!

7. TORTUMAN, I think this is quite horrible "most schools will be more interested in seeing how you can control a class and keep them on task, basically stopping them from throwing chairs and tables around in the first place" .. Well I've just arrived in the UK and Don't know anything about the school System, but this words just makes me wonder is there any respect to the teachers in the UK school system?
    I mean I have six years teaching experience from My country, Colombia, and I have tough in deprived areas back home, (gangs problems, poverty, displaced people) but when a teacher arrives to the classroom, everybody is quite and stand up say hello to the teacher and then sit down and just do what they are told to do. So no matter the area the kids, parents and community simply respect the teacher. SO IM JUST KIND OF FREAK OUT WITH THIS WORDS OF YOU TORTUMAN, DO THEY REALLY THROW CHAIRS AND TABLES?. IF SO, WHAT THE HEADTEACHER AND PARENTS DO ABOUT THAT?
    Anyway, thanks to all of you for your answers and great advices.
    God bless you and have a lovely weekend!!
    Chau.

8. I think that you need to experience the reality of life in the typical UK secondary school. You may well change your mind about teaching here, before you spend anything on studying for a PGCE.

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

In my experience (all 21 years of it) Tortuman is exaggerating wildly. I have never experienced any behaviour of the sort he describes: the worst is a bit of chat and maybe some answering back.
    Am I in a lovely posh school somewhere in fantasyland? No, I am in very ordinary school in south Berkshire with a fairly high % of students whose parents are on benefits and live in local authority housing.
    If you would like to visit our school to see what it is really like, please PM me and we'll sort something out.
    Don't be put off by tales of disaster: kids are kids and teenagers behave the same all over - they need t o show a little bit of bravado and rebellion from time to time, but basically want to learn and to get on in their lives.
    Henriette