1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

    If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

    Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

    Dismiss Notice

Spanish Steps...

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by mummalea, Jul 12, 2018.

  1. mummalea

    mummalea New commenter

    V excited to be starting at a new school in north western Spain in August.

    Can anyone out there with experience suggest tips for registering with government offices for tax etc purposes? Is this an easy/quick process? Also, general feedback on your Spanish 'journey' greatly appreciated...you're welcome to PM me if you'd rather.

    Cheers lovely people!
  2. Mainwaring

    Mainwaring Established commenter

    Your school should help you with this. If you don't speak fluent Spanish you will need an interpreter. It is nineteen years since I did this stuff, so memory is not infallible but you will definitely need to do the following (not necessarily in this order):

    Go to your main local Guardia Civil station and apply for Residencia.

    Obtain your NIE, which is effectively your Social Security number. Nothing happens in Spain without it

    Go to the Town Hall and register on the Padron.

    Go to your local health centre and apply for your green health card.

    Ignore all posts from dumbells, who will pop up any moment and tell you not to come to Spain at all.
    tb9605, spanboy and Mr_Frosty like this.
  3. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    Wonderful, magical, amazing place where no one ever has had a negative thing to say about the country. Its filled with amazing schools, hard working students and school owners that will treat you wonderfully and pay you a great wage as they all consider you as professionals.
    spanboy, Mr_Frosty and lafoule like this.
  4. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    God i hope people dont think im being seriouso_Oo_O
  5. spanboy

    spanboy Occasional commenter

    ...and remember, once you're a Spanish 'resident' any worldly income will be subject to taxes at Hacienda (the Spanish tax office)
  6. SineField

    SineField New commenter

    I'm just disappointed it took you 90 mins to get your 2 pennys worth in Dumbbells! ;)
    Redparrotfish likes this.
  7. Mainwaring

    Mainwaring Established commenter

    Most of my income is from the UK and is taxed at source but as a Spanish resident I file a tax return with Hacienda as well as the British Inland Revenue. I don't actually pay anything to Hacienda. In fact I usually get a rebate from them. Last time it was 38 centimos. I haven't a clue why this happens. Fortunately my tax advisor understands both systems.
  8. tb9605

    tb9605 Occasional commenter

    You can book an appointment for the NIE online before you arrive - try doing this about three weeks before you plan to get there. You need your NIE to open a Spanish bank account. You will also need to download a form to take to the bank in order to pay an admin charge (around 10 euros) in advance of the NIE appointment.

    The NIE is not in fact your social security number, but this is easy to get... once you have your NIE.

    If you are married and/or have children it´s worth getting all marriage and birth certificates translated before you come to save time. Your children´s birth certificates will also need an apostille (but not yours, weirdly).

    Congratulations on the job! And buena suerte.
    Madamemorgan likes this.
  9. tb9605

    tb9605 Occasional commenter

    This is the link you need to book your NIE appointment:
    Cita Previa de Extranjería - pagina - Administraciones Públicas
    Though most browsers don't like it as it's not secure. You'll need to know which city/town listed in closest to where you are going to be.

    The form you need to take to the bank is TASA 790. You need to take this with you to the appointment (the bank will stamp it once you've paid), plus the completed form (from the link above - I think it's formulario EX-15) your passport and a photocopy, plus as passport sized photo of yourself. I think that's it for the NIE appointment.

    Then pop round to the nearest Social Security office with a copy of your contract to get a number. The follow Mainwaring's instructions (though, as he says, somebody from the school should offer to help you with all this).
    Madamemorgan likes this.
  10. tb9605

    tb9605 Occasional commenter

    Oh, one final thing. Spanish tax year runs January to December.

    So, if your school's HR department does their job properly, you should only pay around 2% tax Sept to Dec, as you would fall into the lowest tax bracket for that calendar year. However - and this depends on your salary - in January they should get you to sign a form raising the amount of tax they take from you to between 13-16% (in order to avoid a nasty surprise tax bill later on).
    Madamemorgan likes this.

Share This Page