1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spanish School Salaries

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Northernsole, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Northernsole

Northernsole Occasional commenter

I was considering a move back to Spain, I taught there for 5 years and despite a dodgy school or two, had a great time. Is it my imagination or have the salaries actually decreased? I saw several advertising on here with abysmal salaries, much worse than I was paid 15-20 years ago! How can schools expect to get a good teacher willing to actually work for less than €2500 a month? some of the salaries were €1890 a month! For clarity, in my last post I earned €36000 as a classroom teacher.

2. missmunchie

missmunchie Occasional commenter

You are correct for the most part in my experience.
    I move to Spain 19 years ago and was paid €1,500 a month after tax.
    I have been paid more than this since, my best salary was €1,650 for a 0.7 contract about 12 years ago. I am now paid a similar amount for full-time work.
    A lot of schools pay more to newcomers from Sept-Dec as you are on a lower tax bracket. The surprise comes in January when you appear to take a pay cut but have been put on the correct tax bracket. This is because the Spanish tax year begins in January.
    Also the 10 month contracts are becoming more of the norm, especially on the Costa del Sol.
    I have no choice but to remain here due to my family situation but it is not easy.

3. Interista

Interista New commenter

After over 10 years of teaching I’m earning the least amount of money in my career whilst in Spain. The pay is not great at all. Some schools offer scarcity allowances but I heard of one school firing people with those on the last day of term because they didn’t have the numbers for next year despite having appointed new teachers ‍♂️

4. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Assuming those figures are all pre-tax, they seem about right. Recruitment is tough here, it seems to me, but there are always decent teachers who are will to take the pay cut in order to live in (a specific part of) Spain.

I've only heard of salaries around the 36k mark in Madrid and Barcelona. On the Costas, it seems like the range 23k-27k is more the norm.

5. yasf

yasf Established commenter

6. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

May I politely suggest that you make it possible for us to miss you?

7. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

Here here!

yasf and T0nyGT like this.
  8. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

He'd already made it extremely clear which school he worked at

TusitalaH likes this.
  9. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

On the plus side, one of the issues which has compounded the low salary problem, ie the escalating cost of renting in Spain, has been eased somewhat as the tourism crash caused by the pandemic means more flats which had been removed from the long-term rental market to be let as Airbnb type accommodation have now come back on to that market. More affordable flats are available now in places where residents were being priced out of towns and cities.

Every cloud and all that.

10. Interista

Interista New commenter

Very true, and I believe your rent price is protected for three years. Though based on current experiences check your rental contract very carefully before signing it.

11. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

We've managed to buy on a ridiculously low fixed rate (the kind of rate you'd dream of getting for 2 years in the UK, here fixed for 20), and so are paying nearly 50% less than we were when we were renting.

It's so weird how the low salaries stretch here. My wife and I were both working in the UK, and I took a £10k pay cut to move here, yet we seem to have way more disposable income than we did in the UK... and now own a second home. There are compensation...

yasf likes this.
  12. 4019775

4019775 Occasional commenter

That may well be true but this was probably the first time he was pm'd and told his posts bragging about salary and the very derogatory way he talked about UK kids would be sent to his SMT with his details to identify him.

This comment/section has been removed/edited for breaching our House Rules and/or Terms and Conditions.

13. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

[​IMG]

14. Mainwaring

'That may well be true but this was probably the first time he was pm'd and told his posts bragging about salary and the very derogatory way he talked about UK kids would be sent to his SMT with his details to identify him.'

It appears that you are bragging about using blackmail to bully another poster off the forum. I am amazed that the moderators have not redacted this.

Bentley51, Odyssey4, yasf and 4 others like this.
  15. 4019775

Standards are slipping.

Thread after thread of the ever inflated monthly salary just gone.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  16. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

This comment/section has been removed/edited for breaching our House Rules and/or Terms and Conditions.

17. 4019775

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  18. Mainwaring

Seems that standards haven't slipped very far.

19. 4019775

20. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

You really need a hobby. This is beyond pathetic.

You're not even an international teacher. You were unable to secure a contract at any school despite the fact that you insist they will hire anyone.

Like a sad, jilted bride, you spend your hours posting here about how bad international teaching is and how much better it is in your 'prestigious' UK private, who only hire the best of the best despite the fact they took on an international reject.

Let it go. Despite being in a shortage subject with considerable experience, you couldn't get a job. It happens. Don't waste your life trying to destroy other people's careers out of jealously and accept your lot in life.

theintlteacher likes this.