1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spanish pupil in primary Spanish lessons

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by michaelt1979, Sep 7, 2011.

1. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

I have a Spanish pupil this year, and so when teaching Spanish to the rest of my class, I want to try to provide some opportunities for her to improve her own Spanish at a level appropriate to her. Unfortunately, I have neither the time nor (more importantly) the language skills to provide it myself, but can anyone suggest any resources or links that might be useful?
    Thanks

2. You might find the children's website of Spanish national television helpful, also for the rest of the class.

http://www.rtve.es/infantil/

Apart from the programs, they also have games and activities.

There is now open free access to all their programs. I only hope you don't find country restrictions whan playing it, like the ones I find trying to watch BBC on the web from Spain.

3. It depends on her level of Spanish. Is she 100% Spanish, or "one of her parents is Spanish"? Many children with bilingual parents aren't really bilingual, especially if only one of the parents is a speaker of the language. I know plenty of families where the children understand the language but couldn't utter a word to save their lives. So, it does depends a lot of what type of "Spanish" speaker she is.
    If she is a fluent speaker, then ask her mum if she can read and write in Spanish. If she can't you can then provide her with exercises for writing. In Spain there is a textbook for everything so you can easily find one with all resources. The mum/dad, whoever the speaker is will have some ideas.
    If she can read and write and is a fluent speaker, then why don't you give her some reading comprehension tasks that kids would use in a Spanish school at her age? Again, easily found on internet, you can find a textbook with all of this prepared for you.
    If she is good you can use her as your "special teacher assistant" and maybe develop her communication skills in that way, like a special project.
    Otherwise, if her Spanish is not really that good she may even benefit from the normal Spanish lesson. But you really need to find out what her "real" level of Spanish is. I have met adults who apparently were bilingual because their mum was Spanish and I couldn't understand a word they were saying, many kids in my Spanish children's playgroup can't speak a word of Spanish even though their mums have been speaking to them since they were born.

4. Hi Tortuman, Can you recommend any Spanish textbooks? I have a 10 year old 'bilingual' student I am tutoring privately for the first time tomorrow and as well as ascertaining her Spanish level, I would like to use one as a format for planning lessons and creating exercises for her. I am searching on Amazon but it's hard to tell the good ones from the bad.
    Thanks.

5. Hello, in terms of grammar Espanol 2000 is very good. I would not use it as a stand alone course in England as here we are more used to happy-games-activities and Espanol 2000 is kinds of straightforward-what-you-need-to-know. However, it is perfect for the teacher as it has all the structure built in it and the grammar progression. There is a text at the beginning of each lesson which incorporates the grammar point studied in that lesson, and the texts are recorded on a CD that you can also buy. The grammar points are practised through exercises. So basically you can get all your grammar and reading work from that book, and then plan for the fun-communicative activities yourself based on the lesson learnt.
    The texts are "real" Spanish, the way it is spoken so that's a plus. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    However if the student is a "proper" bilingual student, I would really go for the books used in primary school in Spain. I am not very familiar with them but they are all probably about the same because they all have to follow the strict guidelines set by the Ministry of Education, look into Santillana, Anaya. Or do a search for "libro de texto lengua española quinto de primaria" and you will also find lots of resources. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Remember in Spain children start on year 1 or primer curso de primaria at 6 years old (not 5) hence English Y6 would be Spanish 5 curso and so on.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On the other hand, if you are teaching them for the test (GCSE) I would just buy a revision guide for the vocabulary, and a textbook for the topics, Listos 3 is good, although it's the old exam, but I think you can still use it. You can still use Español 2000 for the grammar.

6. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

I think Listos 3 will be too mature for a 10 year old.

7. Brilliant, thank you both for your suggestions. I'll probably get Esp.2000.

8. I don't see why. It depends on the kid and his level. If the student is preparing for the GCSE he will have to prepare the topics of the GCSE, independently of his age, which are those in LIstos 3. I think the only one able to decide if the student is ready or not is the tutor who is working with that kid directly.

9. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Quite, why assume the child's level will be low? Primary children in France read Victor Hugo, not JK Rowling, so why think the Spanish speaker will be immature?My daughter got an A* in GCSE French at the end of Y7. No problems of maturity for writing, let's face it, the GCSE topics are easy, laughably so for anyone with a native speaker parent.

10. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

Thank you all for advice and suggestions. The girl is definitely not bilingual, but Spanish is her first language. I'll try to arrange a conversation with mum about perhaps getting some resources from family in Spain at the relevant level.

11. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

Nobody has mentioned GCSE yet.

12. Geekie, don't be so touchy. I was just giving some "general" advice. And from my experience bilingual parents who ask a tutor to teach their kids their own language (parent's language) tend to want exam coaching, if not always, quite often. The word "if" should give the clue: a condition, if something..., then.... if not... then. Obviously if this is not the case the tutor will dismiss this possibility, I can't really see a problem here unless you are trying to "encontrarle tres pies al gato". to "quedar como el aceite."