1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spanish online tutoring

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by nomad93, Apr 18, 2018.

1. nomad93

nomad93 New commenter

How much can you realistically earn? How intensive is it? How do you find clients?
    I read Spanish at Oxford and I have a PGCE, but I don't have any teaching experience.
    Your help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Your first question is about money and you invite people to set you and other readers up as their competitors gratis. It's an unreasonable invitation on several counts.

If you wish to rely upon the expertise of others for your income then you would do best to find an employer.

3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I choose not to do online as I don't feel it suits my personality, I much prefer face to face.
    You must have some teaching experience if you have PGCE even if it is only training???

4. nomad93

nomad93 New commenter

I only ask because I have no idea if it's possible to make a living from online tutoring. I have no teaching experience except for my training during my PGCE, so I am not familiar with the whole world of tutoring.

humbug likes this.
  5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Someone with the background you describe cannot make a living as a private tutor. I recommend you consider working for independent schools. Take a look through some vacancies on the TES Jobs site. If you look in the column to the left of the page you can see the option to be alerted when interesting posts arise. Be an employee for a few years, get the experience and skill up, you can always look at tutoring again in the future if you like the sound of the entailed insecurity, stress and long hours.

6. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

It depends on why you haven't followed up your PCGE with a regular teaching job to be honest.
    If it's that you have decided that working in a school isn't for you but you do like teaching then possibly tutoring could work, But you may need another part-time job to supplement your income if you need a certain level to meet your expenses. There are blogs and adverts that claim you can earn highly from tutoring but am not sure that I believe them to be honest.
    Is it that you would like to teach but there are no job vacancies in your area for Spanish? How many schools in your area offer this language and would they be the ones where parents are likely to afford private tuition are the sort of questions that I would ask for face-to face tuition.
    I cannot really comment about on-line.

7. nomad93

nomad93 New commenter

Thank you. I am unable to work in schools because when I'm currently a carer looking after a family member. The only work id be able to do would be part time and online, because of my situation. I am already receiving state benefits, but as you can imagine, it's very little, so I started thinking about tutoring online to supplement my income.

8. doctoryes

Becoming a tutor involves registering as self-employed and there are some benefits that self-employed people cannot claim and other they can. So you need to check this situation first. The benefits system is usually OK for regular work that doesn't fluctuate each month but you could end up worse off if they have to keep reassessing your income level and adjusting your benefits.

9. nomad93

nomad93 New commenter

Seems very unfair, as I'm doing the right thing by trying to look after my family and get myself out of poverty.

Have you tried online tutoring?

10. doctoryes

You can claim tax credits as self-employed, but don't know what happens about any disability element or carers allowance etc. You can also still claim housing benefits. If you are on UC this may be different.
    You will end up better off working, but you won't keep all the extra money as they claw a percentage back.
    But you need to let them know every time your income changes within certain limits and they can either stop benefit payments or in the case of tax credits expect you to repay any overpayments.

11. theluckycat

theluckycat Occasional commenter

I am in a similar situation financially-a carer for a child with disablities + a self-employed tutor. If the person you care for is on middle-rate DLA personal care you can claim carers allowance, and as a carer you can earn up to about £480 a month without losing your carers allowance. Self-assessment is really easy, you do an online tax assessment every year which is very easy, you just fill in how much you have earned. Good luck to you, being a carer is one of the great unsung roles in society I think, and it is also admirable that you are looking at earning some more money to improve your situation. Kudos!

12. humbug

humbug New commenter

Well I always found I had to be extremely organized as a language teacher in the classroom, and i've continued this approach as a tutor. This is partly because I don't like to waste parent's time or money, but also because many students find languages tough and boring, so I want to carefully structure the work and make sure it is engaging and accessible.

In addition, you have to be very organised online and know where your documents are, and how things you would normally do face to face will work.

If you are prepared to put in the work, you could maybe start with just one student and spend time planning and building up resources. Be prepared for huge differences in ability and be aware that a number of students who have been told they can expect high grades, may have very little knowledge of grammar and won't take kindly to being taught any. You have to be guided by the students as it's partly about what you can teach them, but also about not knocking their confidence too much at a late stage.

13. humbug

humbug New commenter

Eek, apologies for typos but on phone and can't correct right now. I know they won't go unnoticed on a teacher site!