1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spanish international schools

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by resources25, Oct 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. resources25

resources25 New commenter

Hi, am seriously considering moving to Spain with my husband and daughter (3) to teach primary in an international school (my husband is also a primary teacher).
    Am just wondering if the workload or work life balance is any better, as this is what we are looking for.

Am aware the pay is low, not sure how low though?!

My gran lives over there so we’re looking at schools in the Javea/Alicante/Valencia area so if anyone has any info on this, it would be very much appreciated!!

2. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Hello.
    I'm between Javea and Alicante. Lots of schools around here - fee free to PM me if you want info on specific ones. Expect around €23,000 per annum, regardless of your past experience. If you manage to get some kind of management responsibility (e.g. ket stage coordinator) this may go up to €27,000. However, the cost of living is lower, the work life balance is way better, and the experience of another culture is an amazing gift to give to your child.
    Buena suerte

3. resources25

Hi, thank you so much for your reply. I would love to message you, but I think I have to post a few more times before I can PM on here.
    I am pleased to hear the work life balance is better as this did worry me as the days seemed to be a bit longer and I know how much work there is usually in the evenings.
    Do you still get the same ppa time?
    Thank you again for your response!

4. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

I have just started teaching in an international primary in Southern Spain after much research . Feel free to pm me too.

5. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

Try the Costa Blanca International School, just outside Benidorm.Pay is higher than most Spanish schools of this size. I can't message you to show you how I know, but contact them.

6. resources25

Thank you, I have just contacted them.
    Thank you for your reply!

7. resources25

Hi I will try to pm you as soon as it lets me! Thank you!

you

8. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

I've started a conversation with you.

Yes, longer days are a bit of a drag (though not all international schools here have them - there's one in Altea that operates on a Spanish timetable), but I still find I spend less time physically in school than I did in the UK. Back in Bristol I'd be in at 7.30 and out at 5 (or later): here I'm in at 8, out at 4.30. I also work far less in the evenings and weekends than I did in the UK - fewer pointless admin tasks and fewer books to mark.

I get 4 hours PPA a week (plus an extra 2 as HOD), which is the minimum - an 80% timetable. I can have one PPA taken for cover per week. One nice thing about the school I'm at is that they compensate you if you have break/lunch duties by giving you extra non-contact time.

resources25 likes this.
  9. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

I started a conversation with you.

resources25 likes this.