1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spanish in Year 7 for the first time -course book suggestions

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by holly27, Sep 10, 2015.

1. holly27

holly27 New commenter

As of September 2016 Spanish will swap with French in our school to become the compulsory language in Year 7. It is a few years since I have taught Year 7, at my previous school, so I feel a bit out of touch with the best resources currently available (previously used Listos 1 & 2 in Years 7 and 8).

I would be grateful for any input on what is out there that is good or to be avoided when choosing a course book or other resources.

Thanks very much

2. Malaguena

Malaguena New commenter

I like Mira, that's the more recent version of Listos, though in fairness I don't think Listos is too bad. It's not out of date. I got a sample of Zoom Espanol and its ok though I always prefer Pearson / heinemann resources to OUP ones.

3. kilky75

kilky75 New commenter

I've used Mira and Zoom before. I quite liked Mira but absolutely hated Zoom. I'm now working at a new school where they have introduced Spanish and I bought Viva. So far I find it really good!

4. holly27

holly27 New commenter

Thanks for your replies so far.
    We have now looked at a lot of different options and have narrowed it down to 4. We are currently considering Viva, Zoom, Mira 1 Express and Gente Joven.
    Any further guidance would be appreciated if you have experience of teaching with any of the above.
    Thanks!

5. kilky75

kilky75 New commenter

We've been using now Viva since the beginning of the year and I'm happy with my choice. I remember that all the videos in Zoom were ridiculously hard (people talking way to fast for Y7 and lots of irrelevant stuff). I've used Mira Express before and I quite liked it.

6. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Mira is good . Viva is the update but not all the KS3 course books are out yet for Viva (only Y7, I think). The only problem is that I personally would be wary about committing until I could see Year 8 course book/materials. Viva does incorporate the new curricular changes (phonics , spontaneous speech, translation, literary texts) and the excellent Rachel Hawkes had a big role in developing the course.

7. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

We have Viva and we're getting on well with it. We have the online resources and textbooks, and the Y8 and Y9 ones are out - we have them!

8. jrdennis

jrdennis New commenter

Does anyone else find the pricing of these course books ridiculous now?
    We do French and Spanish in my school. Currently we use Listos and Mira Express for KS3 Spanish, Equipe for KS3 French but I want to change that desperately, Mira for KS4 and Expo for KS$ French.

To change course books, as they do not do the activeteach anymore and it is all online, it will cost the school a couple of thousand pound a year.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks