1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spanish GCSE in 2 years - schemes of work

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by laumit83, Aug 25, 2007.

1. I am an NQT and will be teaching Year 10 Spanish GCSE in two years. Spanish is quite new at the school and there is no scheme of work at the moment.

If anyone has a scheme of work they could email I would be very grateful - whatever exam board or coursebook you're working to. Would be really good to have some ideas on how to pace everthing to fit into 2 years.

Thanks,

Lauren (lauren_mitchell83@hotmail.com)

2. I am an NQT and will be teaching Year 10 Spanish GCSE in two years. Spanish is quite new at the school and there is no scheme of work at the moment.

If anyone has a scheme of work they could email I would be very grateful - whatever exam board or coursebook you're working to. Would be really good to have some ideas on how to pace everthing to fit into 2 years.

Thanks,

Lauren (lauren_mitchell83@hotmail.com)

3. HI

we do Spanish GCSE in 2 yrs, with the pupils only have studied minimal Spanish at KS3.

In Year 10 Pupils are crammed with vocab and work at foundation level (we do AQA linear). Then in Y11, once they have the basics, they are pushed at higher. We only suggest that those who are really capable of working hard take Spanish.

We use Listos 3 for AQA. Verde in Y10 and Rojo in Y11.

The course is taught in topics.

I will send you the SOW by email

El

4. Hi there

I teach GCSE Spanish from scratch in one academic year. I have a scheme of work to email if you want although it hasn't been updated in two years.

I get going with grammar straight away, regular -ar verbs in lesson two, and build the vocab in around the grammar. It's a complete rush to complete the course on two lessons per week. Espanol de Primero as a text book is very good, although I don't have the time to use it that often.

After ten months of learning Spanish, I've had nearly 40 students get A* or A grades out of 60 entries over three years.

Good luck.

jingirasole1 likes this.
  5. Many thanks, all schemes of work would be much appreciated

6. Any more SOWs/ideas?

7. My tip would be to not stick too much to a topic by topic SOW - try and mix the topics around with key verbs/structures and vocab e.g. Hay/No hay + town/house/bedroom/school facilities/, focus on opinions and justifications with every topic under sun - food/town/house/hobbies/school subjects etc.

I get mine using dictionaries and brainstorming a lot of vocab that would go with key structures/topics (more interesting than constant vocab introduction) but they still need conventional vocab lists to learn and be tested regularly on (vocab pages in Listos 3 good for this - look on the Heinemann website if your school does not have the resource as they do schemes of work that include the key vocab for you to copy and paste)

Focus on past/pres/future verbs linked with time frames as key triggers constantly with both speaking and writing.

I haven't got around to writing a formal scheme of work yet, or I would share!

Another good resource is the Zig Zag fast track spanish pack (about £50) - as it also mixes and matches topics and has a listening CD.

We use Listos 3 (red and green, depending...) and this works well.

Hope that helps, you need guidance from your HOD for this course as it is too much to ask an NQT to be in charge of writing a SOW for this - there is more to an ab initio course than meets the eye. Do not struggle on alone because if your pupils do not do well - it is essentially your HOD responsibility.

ASK FOR HELP FROM YOUR DEPARTMENT!!

pascuam49 likes this.
  8. Hi Germanlad,
    I wonder if I could have a copy of your SOW that you have for the GCSE in a Year if it isn't too much trouble - your results sound fantastic, and I am going to be taking over a class this year that are going to be doing their GCSE in a year, so any help would be appreciated!
    my email is
    sparkles921@hotmail.co.uk

thanks (if you have time!)

jkhanom likes this.
  9. PierreImport

PierreImport Administrator

What I do is to start at the end and work out how to get there: the oral topics must be the main focus, as they help all skill areas.

Reinforce that learning by regular vocab testing (last year, I merely said I will test them on a page from the prescribed vocabulary lists...and they knew which page) and that helped their levels of confidence.

The worst question I get asked is 'what do we have to revise'...as, generally speaking, I don't really know. This method measn you always know how to answer it!

Finally, it might be wise to copy a scheme of work and then ignore it. Focus on the exam and avoid ticking boxes for management/OFSTED.

10. Dear Lauren and Sparkles

Have emailed the SOW to your hotmail addresses.

Good advice is from PierreImport - work back from the speaking exam - what do they need to know to speak for 5-7 mins in Spanish for each topic etc and then teach that as you go along linking in vocab and grammar.

They need to know verbs (past, present and future) and opinions and reasons for opinions. It doesn't matter if it's simple future voy + infinitive and me gustaria + infinitive is also good to teach if there's no time to master the conditional.

My students are generally in Y12 doing AS language(s) so can learn things quickly. If you have bright students, you can also teach things like 'si fuera rico, + conditional' etc. it sounds good in an exam even if they don't know how to form the imperfect subjunctive!

11. bergh

bergh New commenter

Hello germanlad, please could I have a copy of your scheme of work as I,too, teach it in 1 year to the 6th form but did not get brilliant grades this time. I'd be really grateful
    shaunandrachel@hotmail.com

many thanx in advance,
    bergh

12. Hello,
    I would be very grateful if you could email me the SoW you use Germanlad.
    My address emeline_language@yahoo.fr
    Thanks in advance.
    I'll let you know how I get on with it!
    Cheers.
    Good luck everyone.

13. Hello germanlad, please could I have a copy of your scheme of work as I,too, would have to teach it in 1 year to the 6th form. I'd be really grateful.
    I think it's quite an achievement!! Well done!!
    My email address is: aberypad@onetel.net

Many thanks is advance. All the best!

14. Could I also have a copy of your scheme of work germanlad. Would be very grateful!!!

Email: radfordmor@aol.com

15. PierreImport

PierreImport Administrator

Not for me, thanks.

16. Germanland,

Would you be so kind as to email that scheme of work to me also. jodyharman99@hotmail.com
    Thank you very much

17. Hi there - sorry not logged on to TES website in ages...! Have emailed SoW to all who asked although I don't think it's that amazing. Was more a SoW to tick boxes when SMT reviewed MFL.

Have my first Y12 Spanish class tomorrow so it's back to 'Hola' and 'uno, dos, tres'. A* seem so far away at the moment!

18. Am in a similar position to other posters - would appreciate any SoWs.

Thanks in advance

bijou