1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spanish food - nicer on the page...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nick909, Apr 9, 2011.

1. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I'm not sure I agreee either, Pobbs!
    Had some wonderful meals in Spanish restaurants. I appreciate what you're saying about stews being reliable - some of the zarzuelas and fabadas asturias have been my favourite Spanish meals eaten out - not to mention the ubiquitous paella, but I have to rate Spanish food as among my favourite cuisines.
    I like the simple honesty of Spanish food. Nothing is pretentious, and nothing is superfluous - no fancy sauces that have no real connection to the other ingredients on the plate, for example.

I actually think that it's French restaurant food that's going through some sort of a decline at the moment. I've eaten some appalling meals in France in the last 10 years or so. I've put it down to a degree of complacency. I speak as an absolute Francophile - France is my favourite country, the French are my favourite people and French food is probably my favourite food. I have, of course, eaten some wonderful meals in France recently as well, but it's not as easy to get a great meal in France as it once was.

2. Oh I love Spanish cuisine, just not when it is eaten in a regular looking restaurant in Andalucia!
    If I had met that simple honesty in a tasty dish I would be delighted, but half a cool chicken swimming in olive oil is not meat in a simple sauce, it is gross, and highly superfluous! And I can't even choose a zarzuela with confidence any more... and I loved it at the Embalses, then got a nasty shock in Esteppe!
    As I said though, I also ate some sensational tapas and the simple fried/grilled fish dishes are a wonder of the world.
    The highs are very, very high - but the lows are the worst food I have ever eaten!