1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spanish enhancement course

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by cazou34, Feb 23, 2011.

1. cazou34

cazou34 New commenter

Hello James

I have just received an offer for a PGCE MFL course starting in September but need to successfully complete a 2 week Spanish enhancement course before hand (French being my main subject).Can you tell me anything about these enhancement courses? The TDA couldn't help me when I called them this morning. How can I find a course?

Thanks for any advice

2. cazou34

cazou34 New commenter

Hello James

I have just received an offer for a PGCE MFL course starting in September but need to successfully complete a 2 week Spanish enhancement course before hand (French being my main subject).Can you tell me anything about these enhancement courses? The TDA couldn't help me when I called them this morning. How can I find a course?

Thanks for any advice

3. I'm doing a French Extension Course - if that's the same thing? Mine is 13 weeks with the first two weeks being ab initio. It depends on your PGCE provider as to where you complete the course. I believe it's Liverpool JM which does the Spanish one - but again it's a full-summer course and not just two weeks.
    Do you speak Spanish now? If not, then it will definitely be the Spanish Extension Course. If you do, then I'm not really sure! Search for the courses here: http://www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/subject-information-enhancement/age-groups/teaching-secondary/boost-subject-knowledge.aspx

4. You need to be sent a referral from your university in order to get on an enhancement course. I will be attending the German one at Newcastle, and my provider (Leeds) referred me there in order that Newcastle confirm my place. You should contact your PGCE provider and ask them to provide a referral for you to the usual university they send their students to.
    The course should last about 13-15 weeks and include 2 weeks in Spain on a residential course. The course is probably quite intensive as you probably need to get to A-level equivalent or so.

5. cazou34

cazou34 New commenter

Finally i no longer need to do the course. Myconditional has changed to an unconditional. The TDA no longer organise 2 week enhancement courses so i'll be working on the spanish by mysel. I havent used it for about 20 yrs bot i'm sure it'll come back.

6. topina

topina New commenter

I've done GEC couple of years ago in Newcastle, It was a VERY intensive course with a lot of homework and tests. However,tutors were all very helpful, I believe you will enjoy the course. Good Luck!