1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SPANISH CIVIL WAR A2

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Tequila, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Tequila

Tequila New commenter

hi,
    is there anyone out there teaching this for CT AQA? I wondered what level of detail people were going into and where their starting point is? Does anyone mention Alfonso XIII / 1931 Republic etc. or do they simply start with July 1936? I have been doing background from 1931 but am starting to think I'm overwhelming my students! All advice very gratefully received!

2. Tequila

Tequila New commenter

hi,
    is there anyone out there teaching this for CT AQA? I wondered what level of detail people were going into and where their starting point is? Does anyone mention Alfonso XIII / 1931 Republic etc. or do they simply start with July 1936? I have been doing background from 1931 but am starting to think I'm overwhelming my students! All advice very gratefully received!

3. i'm currently doing it with my a2 class but we're on edexcel- i have breifly mentioned it but our main focus has been during and after the war

4. Having ploughe my way through Anthony Beevor's book, I would say dont dwell too much on the details as there are so many. You could put them off for life!

5. steveglover

steveglover New commenter

The link here takes you to the Spanish Civil war series done by Channel 4. They are done along the lines of the world at war. I originally watched them on Stuart Christie's anarchist website. He had been arrested in the 60's for setting off to kill Franco with a bomb up his kilt and had everything you could imagine video wise but it's all gone now.
    http://videotecaalternativa.net/la-guerra-civil-espanola-6-capitulos
    I actually started learning Spanish as a result of listening to George Orwell's biography on CD. 2 CDs were on Homage to Catalonia which as is mentioned above depicted losely in the Ken Loach film. It does seem to give the right atmosphere.
    Maybe concentrating on individual protagonists would be good? La pasionara or Franco himself? Or as someone has mentioned in aonther thread Guernica.
    Or the aftermath of the civil war would be very interesting. I found it a very upsetting topic to read. Anthony Beevor's book is the authoratitive text with the recent version including previously undisclosed information from Russia.

6. Have you seen Las 13 rosas? A recent film telling the true story of a group of brave young women in the Civil War. It could give you another way of looking at the war through women's eyes. The last of the 13 died only a couple of years ago and there was quite a lot of coverage in the Spanish press.
    La lengua de las mariposas is also a good accesible film about the period. Showing life in the Second Republic and the great upheaval of the war in a small village. This time through the eyes of a child.
    There are some very good Spanish websites on the background to this film.

7. Tequila

Tequila New commenter

Thanks for that it's really helpful. I bought the book you mentioned and it is definitely becoming my Bible! The problem, like you say, is there is so much. I always get anxious about if I'm marking their essays right as I never know what AQA mean by "thorough understanding and knowledge of the task" as I'm never sure where to draw the line. I guess that's the dilemma we all have?