1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spanish cafe in our school..HELP!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by emmstar, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Hello!
    I am the MFL co-ordinator (and only language teacher) in my primary school and I teach spanish to KS2. Today my headteacher has asked if i would set up a project with the current Year 6 class to create a Spanish cafe in our school. The aim is to use it in lessons and have the Year 6's run it at playtimes/lunch to encourage the children to converse and develop their Spanish skills with links to topics in Spanish and cross curricular with maths etc.
    I was wondering if anyone has a similar cafe scenario set up in their schools ( I once saw a video clip of a French cafe run by children). Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated as I said I would research and report back to my headteacher asap.
    Many thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. Hello!
    I am the MFL co-ordinator (and only language teacher) in my primary school and I teach spanish to KS2. Today my headteacher has asked if i would set up a project with the current Year 6 class to create a Spanish cafe in our school. The aim is to use it in lessons and have the Year 6's run it at playtimes/lunch to encourage the children to converse and develop their Spanish skills with links to topics in Spanish and cross curricular with maths etc.
    I was wondering if anyone has a similar cafe scenario set up in their schools ( I once saw a video clip of a French cafe run by children). Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated as I said I would research and report back to my headteacher asap.
    Many thanks in advance! [​IMG]

3. We did it years ago, in German for open evening. Pupils produced the menus and acted as waiters. Parents had to order in German, with helpful support sentences being placed on the table.
    Kids loved it, made the dept look good, and I certainly remember it

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Often seen this done in the summer term for open days, evenings for parents etc. Running it every day might be a bit much, if children have to regularly give up their time to run it. Certainly worth while as a class project and possibly invite parents to come.

5. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter

6. aventura

aventura New commenter

I have done this before various times, and getting ready for the next one in three weeks. It is certainly a lot of fun and kids love it. The only down side for me has been the hours I've spent cooking. In your case it is probably more difficult because I guess you cannot cook much with the primary school kids. This is what I have done:
    1.Each food is labelled in Spanish: name, sometimes origin and main ingredients, etc
    2. Students/ parents/ staff must order in target language.
    3. Background Spanish music
    4. Drinks: alcohol free sangria
    5. Food: tortilla de patatas sold in slices, alfajores (south american style), almendras garrapinadas sold in llttle wrapped parcels, coquitos wrapped in twos, tarta de Santiago sold in slices, rosquillas, and others that took me too much work and therfore do not recommend.
    Hope it helps![​IMG]

7. funambule

funambule New commenter

TTS do resources, realia, cafe packs, labels, etc. in Spanish which could be useful.

8. runaway

runaway New commenter

There's a French unit on http://year6french.wikispaces.com that covers the cafe -if your Spanish is ok you should be able to replicate most of it if that helps?