1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spanish at KS5

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by allowitmissman, Jun 20, 2011.

1. allowitmissman

allowitmissman New commenter

We are offering Spanish at AS for the very first time. ANY advice welcome! I have read on another thread that Kerboodle is excellent, but what textbooks would you recommend? Does anyone test in January? Can you cover enough to test by then, assuming the pupils are all B+ grade at GCSE? How do you split the teaching to best cover the syllabus/ prepare for units 1+ 2 ( exam board AQA). We have 9 hours over 2 weeks, split 5,4. Which test needs more prep, or is itore important to teach all skills equally and cover the syllabus? As I said, any words of wisdom at all received with deep gratitude!

2. allowitmissman

We are offering Spanish at AS for the very first time. ANY advice welcome! I have read on another thread that Kerboodle is excellent, but what textbooks would you recommend? Does anyone test in January? Can you cover enough to test by then, assuming the pupils are all B+ grade at GCSE? How do you split the teaching to best cover the syllabus/ prepare for units 1+ 2 ( exam board AQA). We have 9 hours over 2 weeks, split 5,4. Which test needs more prep, or is itore important to teach all skills equally and cover the syllabus? As I said, any words of wisdom at all received with deep gratitude!

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Hi there! I really wouldn't sit any exam in January of the first year, your students won't be mature enough nor have covered enough ground! Don't assume that they'll be organised just because they are 16, make them organised (best advice I ever got from my ex-HOD). I give mine a vocabulary booklet with space to write their own words, and a speaking booklet with example of questions and stimulus cards. It's all French so won't be of any help to you, but I'm sure there are equivalent things on the resources area.
    We have 7 periods a week (40 min), of which we do 2 of speaking, 1 or 2 of grammar and 3 or 4 of teaching of topics, including essay writing skills, vocab tests, independent listening exercises (kerboodle) etc. B grade at GCSE isn't actually great, we have found that even A grade students can struggle to get more than a C at AS (it is a steep learning curve), although I have an A2 candidate this year who is predicted a B at A2 and who only had a B at GCSE, so there are exceptions.
    Generally, I'd say that listening and reading skills are the easiest to teach as they have been taught actively at GCSE, whereas spontaneous speaking and essay writing are the hardest and need a lot of practice, as is the grammar of course. Are you able to go on a course about the speaking exam? It's probably the most difficult for you and your students. Certainly, if you conduct the exam, I strongly advise that you go on the course organised by the exam board you do.
    Good luck!

4. allowitmissman

Thanks so much for this!