1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spanish apple cake

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by rosievoice, May 22, 2011.

1. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

<u>Spanish apple cake</u>
    This recipe was given to me by my German sister in law. It smells wonderful in the oven.

200g butter
    200g sugar
    4 eggs (not tiddlers)
    1 tbsp cinnamon
    2 packets vanilla sugar (about 2 tbsp)
    1 heaped tbsp cocoa
    200g plain flour
    15g baking powder (1 packet)
    5-6 eating apples (or 3 lg cooking apples)
    Icing sugar to sprinkle on top
    Greased cake tin 9"

Cream the butter and sugar, add eggs and dry ingredients, mix well but don't bash the air out of it. Pour half the mixture into the baking tin and smooth it down.
    Slice all the apples and make an appley layer on top of the mixture in the tin. Leave a wee gap so that the apple slices do not come into contact with the sided of the tin, or they may stick. Pour on the other half of the mixture and place into a cold oven.
    Cook for around an hour at gas mark 3 which is about 160 degrees or 325 F I think . <u>Do not preheat the oven</u>.
    Allow to cool on a rack, sprinkle icing sugar on. Enjoy.

2. Thank you rosievoice, looks wonderful - will be giving this a try over half-term!

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Same here. Have you tried the Rhubarb and custard cake on the bbc good food werbsite. It's of the same ilk as this one, moist and delicious with the slight tartness of the fruit.

4. anon468

anon468 New commenter

DROOOOOOOL!
    I may be slightly mad, but I can actually 'smell' this now (what is the olfactory equivalent of 'visualise'?)