1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spanish ab initio

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by fionarh, Mar 21, 2011.

1. fionarh

fionarh New commenter

This is being implemented in my school to boost MFL uptake for ebacc. Does anyone have experience/SoW as I only have experience of Spanish in FE.
    Thanks

2. jolet

jolet New commenter

We are an IB school and we offer Spanish and French ab initio. This is my first year with Spanish and previously I tought French CIGCSE.

3. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

We do Spanish for beginners to GCSE level from Y9 (our students choose their options at the end of Y8) - I basically just started the topics from the GCSE spec, choosing the easier ones with more basic vocab to begin and focusing on pronunciation and key grammar. I did Family & Friends first, as this allowed me to do the basic stuff of talking about name, age etc, then looked at adjectives for describing people's appearance & personality, using connectives, opinions and things like very/a bit/often/usually etc. We then did free time activities as part of the health topic, with regular verbs in the present tense & opinions (me gusta etc), and covered the future with ir a + infinitive with time phrases and did some writing practice on healthy lifestyles and their resolutions for the future. They were delighted to be getting level 4-5s after only a term and a bit! We then did food & drink in the context of health, including phrases like hay que and tener que and did a speaking presentation on healthy eating. We're currently on the topic of town & environment, so they've used adjectives to describe their town and have learnt how to give directions to places, and we'll be moving on to talk about the environment next.
    The most useful thing for them is a booklet I gave them right at the start with basic key vocab & grammar for all topics - numbers, connectives, time phrases, opinion phrases, how to form negatives & questions, adjective endings, plurals and so on. They refer to this all the time and it's helped them get to a high level quite quickly.
    Good luck!

4. Hi jolet
    My school are going to be teaching IB from September and we're not sure on textbooks for the ab initio courses - we'll be offering French and Spanish at this level and possibly German. We have been considering using Listos and Tricolore Total, but aren't really sure if they would work in this kind of context as they do assume previous knowledge and I'm a bit worried that they will start off too difficult but end up too simple. We could go for the no book approach, but we don't have much of a photocopying budget, whereas we can buy books for the courses from the IB 'pot'. Do you have any advice? Thanks.