1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spanish A Level tutoring

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by znasrawy1979, Sep 18, 2018.

1. znasrawy1979

znasrawy1979 New commenter

Hello,

I am a native speaker of Spanish and I’ve been asked by a friend to help his daughter with her A Level Spanish. She needs about an hour or two a week to practice her speaking. As I’ve never done this before, I’m just here for some advice. Is it as simple as just speaking in Spanish or do I need to focus on past exam papers, certain topics for practicing conversation in Spanish?

Gracias.

2. cathr

cathr New commenter

Check the Alevel specification of the corresponding exam board ( AQA, OCR etc)
    Buena suerte

never_expect_anything likes this.
  3. never_expect_anything

never_expect_anything Occasional commenter

As @cathr says, check which exam board she is studying. The specification (downloadable) will tell you the course content (i.e. topics covered in class that you could reasonably expect an A Level student to be able to discuss), and more importantly tell you the structure and requirements for the speaking exam. (Just because a topic is covered in class in preparation for the written exam, doesn't necessarily mean that it will be examined in the oral exam.) Have the specification to hand when you meet with the student, so you can ask her what she specifically feels she needs help with - but depending on how far through the course she is, and depending on her school/teacher, she may or may not be familiar with the specification. It may be the presentation component, or the discussion component, or it may be a particular topic, or it may be just general confidence. If it is the discussion component, past exam papers will be helpful (again, downloadable). If it is general confidence, then you might be able to just use her textbook (if she has one) for inspiration and just discuss whatever topics they have covered in class, remembering to go back to previously studied topics as well.

sabrinakat likes this.
  4. pascuam49

pascuam49 New commenter

Examining boards also offer on their websites past candidates' performance audios together with comments and marks awarded by examiners. They will give you a good idea of what standards need to be achieved for each grade.

5. estrella7

estrella7 New commenter

With this new exam (since 2016) it is not just a case of speaking generally. We do Edexcel and students need to mention examples, facts, figures for the themes that are studied for Spain & Hispanic speaking countries. I had a student from Spain 2 years ago (and he'd only just left Spain!) who only got a B as he couldn't be bothered revising and thought he could 'wing it'. When he said that 'el día del padre se celebra el 7 de julio en las fiestas de San Fermín...' I knew he'd not get the A I'd predicted.....

As others have said above, download the specifications from the exam board website and the student should be able to get what's needed from her teacher. Hopefully it's just a case of you working with her to improve her confidence!